LooknStop and Teamspeak Connectivity

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nashville1971, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashville1971

nashville1971 Registered Member

I'm giving LnS a try after years of using the no-longer-supported Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. Things seemed to be going well with my new system install, until I attempted to use Teamspeak 2. On the first application run, LnS queried and I authorized Teamspeak's internet access; however, despite giving a "yes," I couldn't connect to the TS server. I even tried, unsuccessfully, to edit a rule for TS based on some forum responses related to other firewalls. Does anyone have a clue how to get this running? Should I expect similar difficulties with my online games (e.g., BF2, CTD4, Crysis)?

I still want to give this firewall a chance and resist the urge to go running back to Sygate. I will admit that I'm a little alarmed that LnS, unlike other firewalls I've tried (Sygate and ZA), doesn't count a "yes" as a yes when giving application permissions. It is a little frustrating to have to make other edits to make sure your programs run.

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

A rule for Teamspeak is available from here:
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Rules/Fr/TeamSpeak_IVAO.rie

I haven't tested it myself, it was or posted sent by a Look 'n' Stop user.

Normally with Look 'n' Stop log you should be able to see which port is blocked and you could create a rule with a right click on the line showing this port in the log.

Yes, Look 'n' Stop has two distinct levels of filtering which are independant: the Application filtering where you just say Yes/No, and the Internet Filtering, a packet filter, where you have to open ports precisely.
    Then you can anyway refine the configuration by indicating which ports an application is allowed to use, and by enabling a rule only if a specific application is connected.

Regards,

Frederic

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

All I do when it comes to any software that I want to connect to the net is to allow the initial prompt for the software, then if it doesnt connect I look in the log (which I have emptied to see new entries) and allow the port that is blocked. Then I assign that rule to only the .exe, for example utorrent.exe. (Duoble click on the newly created rule and choose "Applications" and choose uterroent.exe from the list)
    Then it is only utorrent that opens that specific port when it is started, otherwise it is blocked.
    Same goes for games and TS.

I barely never make rules by hand so to speak (I let Phantom´s ruleset take care all of the advanced rules), I just use the log for new connections. The ability to make a rule with a right click from the log is the beauty with LnS imo.

4. nashville1971

nashville1971 Registered Member

Thank you both for your help with this. I'll give it another try. You mentioned Phantom's ruleset--is that the "enhanced" ruleset that comes with LnS?

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No, "Phantom" is a expert on Look´n´stop who has made a advanced ruleset that he sells on the. I bought it because I dont understand how to make those advanced rules. Basicly I am lazy but I try to learn what it is all about by studying his ruleset.
    But I have survived with the enhanced ruleset for a couple of years before I bought Phantoms ruleset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.