Looking to renew AV but finding Kaspersky heavyweight

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graphic Equaliser, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

We have to renew our AV licence in 3 weeks time, but the currently installed Kaspersky AV is proving too resource-sapping for some of our older workstations. We have about 50 PCs running XP SP3 and they have 512MB RAM and 2GHz Celeron processors. KAV knocks the stuffing out them, and I have to use a special cut-down configuration just to get the usability back up to an acceptable level. I have read that BitDefender is as good, if not better than KAV, but would it run on these lowly PCs? If not, any other suggestions? I am really looking for a combination of good protection, and minimal impact on CPU and memory. TIA.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I had to choose AV for older computer I would choose between Eset, Webroot and Avira. They are all really light and offer great protection. I suggest you try them and then decide which one is best for you.

hqsec

3. nsm0220

nsm0220 Registered Member

mys would be comodo because their zero day protection is the best

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I second that, both ESET and Webroot will run fine on a computer with only 512MB of RAM. I have tested myself :)

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Eset. :thumb:

6. Circe

Circe Registered Member

'combination of good protection, and minimal impact on CPU and memory' Avast is very good, there is a Comodo too (Both free).

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I am surprised you can be productive on those computers. I would worry about windows xp going out of support and replacing those computers and upgrading to a modern operating system. Since Av versus AV is not allowed on this forum I will not get involved in that.

8. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

No A vs b obviously, but you can't go wrong with Webroot. A nod to ESET, Comodo, Panda, and Avira as well.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180128

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.