Looking for Some Help in Picking a Suite...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hangetsu, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, of course it should. Who are any of us to say that KAV fits this bill for him? Or, that other people do not have a legitimate complaint regarding it? Who are we to imply that the problem mentioned does not exist at all? Or, that everyone should be able to use that product without problem?

"There is no best." That is because every product has people that can't use it because it conflicts for them or their systems. That is a fact and it applies to all products. KAV maybe great, but, some people have problems because of the chkdsk issue. Avira is great but some people can't get the darn thing to update. These are real problems for them. And, such issues go on and on. For every great product, there are people who can not use them because of conflicts. For them, that "great" product is clearly not the best.

And, by the way, what is this "felt" point you are trying to make? Are you trying to imply that he is wrong because he saw such a problem and you didn't? Or dismiss it as some misguided "feeling"? Come on, that's trolling the member at best. The problems these people see are real. They are documented by many others across the Internet. Whether you personally experienced them or not, you cannot dismiss them and then start posting off-topic commentary in threads here at Wilders Security because you are a fan of such products.

The OP said very clearly why KAV was not within his choices. Perhaps you do not have the chkdsk problem, but, that does not mean that those who do have that problem are wrong.

You had better learn the concept of on-topic versus off-topic or stop posting on any forum. You are wrong whether you understand it or not, and we will not argue further with you on this. Learn it or leave it, that is your choice. The principle of "on-topic versus off-topic" discussion will remain the way this forum operates.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

However, a suite is less probably not likely to have conflicts among its components, there is a consistent interface and it will probably cost less than the sum of its components. But, there is no real answer.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ron

I'll leave it to LWM to answer your last question as to any discussion of the product being off topic, but your point, might well make any discussion pointless. Lots of time, there just really isn't any point in discussing. The only way OP will get his answer is to try them. Period. Right?

Pete

4. ylssky

ylssky Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2008 and the NOD32 really do the better than you say.you can see from the av-comparatives repost on august just before.these two av softwares get the high score and the best compatability.
    highly recommend you to use this.even about the firewall,suggestion for bitdefender..

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have noticed some slow down in F Secure over the last week. You mentioned being able to buy it in a store, therefore I would say that Norton is your best bet. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  6. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Agree, that is the only way. I have chosen a suite instead of single programs because on my machines 'seem' to run better and have less issues with a suite.

I have chosen my suite because it works well on my machines, has good reviews here at Wilders and other fora, and is a good price. I have tried other leading suites and have discounted some because they do not run well for me or they cost too much.

I will probably change again over time but my choice will be based on the above.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not my experience with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Conflicts up the ying yang, and if I remember right, it wasn't cheap. I use NOD32 $40 2 years, SuperAntispyware $20,AVG antispyware $14.95 renewal, and Comodo FW free.:)

8. fax

fax Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7
    49,9$ 3 User license

Running fine, most conflicts are with other security tools (due to KAV)
    Other conflicts will be sorted out with the new release.

But user already rejected KAV and ZASS use KAV, so again this is off topic.

Cheers,
    Fax

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think what is making this hard for all of us trying to help is, based on the specific criteria, there may not be an answer. Thus the strays away suggestions. What this individual needs to do is, a total review of this thread and suggestions, and trial a few as he obviously did from his first post. The thread really cant be of anymore help to be perfectly honest.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Bingo!! Couldn't have said it better myself. And this is actually almost true for everyone that asks. You have to try them on your machine. Only way.

Pete

Only useful thing to add might be have some means of rolling back, your system to do a complete uninstall of each trial.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have tried many AV's as of late for mainly Vista bug free operation, and have found that no matter how much I disliked Norton's early versions they latest version 2008 of NIS or NAV has little or no compatibility problems or slow downs, I can give some examples of only 3 machines:
    NIS on WinXP - AMD AthlonXP 1.1ghz 512mb pc100 belikin(RaLink) Wireless card - Negligible system impact on par with AVG Free

NAV on Vista/XP - AMD AthlonXP 2000+ 1 GB DDR333, ASUS mobo with nForce2 chipset, Nvidia 5200fx - no notable impact, light as a feather

NAV on Compaq presario v2010 US - PentiumM 1.7 1GB DDR333 Intel IGP - Nice feel to it played well with the notebooks drivers.

Also I believe NIS/NAV cover 3 pc's ?? I don't know as I got my licenses for free from the beta... HTH

12. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Oh no, I knew this was the case (I've read / posted on these boards long enough to know that), however since there are so many options these days, I hoped that by presenting everything I'm looking for, I could get the list down to a reasonable 5-6 :p

I have to admit, I'm finding this thread very informative, and its giving me a few good ideas to try out. I put so many criterion up as I'm really trying to narrow things down; Different criteria may (will?) come up with a completely different set of software I'm sure. Thanks and kudos to everyone here for really keeping that in mind and giving some really great suggestions.

Also, I think mentioning "brick and mortar" was a mistake - By store, I really should have included mainstream web retailers such as Amazon.com and NewEgg; What I'm trying to avoid with this requirement are any fly-by-night software providers that operate only out of their website.

Breaking things up into separate pieces (rather than a suite, as suggested) allows me to consider NOD32 again, which I really enjoy and run on my personal gaming rig. On that machine (Vista also), I only use the Windows Firewall (Outbound protection on and with rules set up for apps) and Defender to keep resource usage low. For the family machines that started the discussion, I probably want something a bit more robust on the Anti-spyware/rootkit side of things as well as with the firewall. The trouble is finding something that doesn't cause performance issues while meeting the other criteria above.

Heck, if the firewall and AS apps fit the bill and work really well, I might even put them on my own PC -- NOD32 notwithstanding, I feel kinda naked using just the Windows Firewall and Defender :D

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

A very good and honest response to your orginal question. Ultimately now you have to decide. You are also correct with your statement about being naked with just using windows firewall and defender. I think they call that,"Buck naked.";)

14. Hangetsu

Well... It *is* the Vista firewall (with Outbound set to default to block) along with occasional checks with HijackThis and F-Secure Blacklight, so its not buck naked. More of a thin-Speedo naked... :D

It does put me in a spot though - The firewalls and AS apps I know of either consume lots of resources, slow down the machine, or don't fit the criteria above (or a combination of the three!).

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One last thought. Since you threw in the idea of Vistas firewall Defender, and a AV. Try Nortons AV buy itself. It is a very good and light AV with great detections based on IBKs latest tests.

16. Hangetsu

I'd say Norton AV is one to consider, definitely. I'd actually prefer a better firewall and AS, but I honestly don't know of any that fit the criteria (particularly when talking about Vista).

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Based on your signature line, no one should therefore ask for advice on these forums. ;)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

think what you want but I think LowWaterMark would differ with you. If you want to, ask him.;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  19. Hangetsu

Well, based on the feedback here I decided to give NIS 2008 a go. I'm in awe - My machine actually feels light with it on. I'll give it a month to see if it stays like that (360 seemed light at first too, then got sluggish with use) but so far its very promising.

Again, thank you all for the feedback, as usual this community was extremely helpful!

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No no get NOD32. It's light on it's feet and affective. In my experience, Norton will infiltrate your computer to the extent you'll need help to get rid of it.

21. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

I started trial of NIS2008 on my Dell XPS400 last couple days to be sure would run good on both systems. So far doing very good. And as far as infiltrating the system and being hard to remove, if it works good then no problem. If a person first makes a ghost or clone image before installing then can go back and try something else to see which is best for him/her. I'm used to Avast Home and on my systems the NIS2008 seems to run very light so happy camper here.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Isnt this thread turning into exactly what they are trying to stop?:cautious:
    Will we ever learn.

23. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, I think it stayed mostly on target as requested. In fact, post #44 is the thread starter saying thanks for the feedback and posting that based upon it all, he made his decision. That should have been the end of it, without someone looping back yet again to say, "no, don't pick that one," after the input was all given and the choice made. But, people have strong opinions on anti-virus software for some reason...

Anyway, as the thread starter made their choice and is giving it a month of trial, this topic has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.