looking for software that monitor temperature cpu,motherboard,hard disks , ram

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i'm looking for a tool that can monitor temperature cpu,motherboard,hard disks , ram

what i would like is that a program that can pop or better play a sound when the temperature is hight

i 'm using HWMonitor 1.14

but i can't setup a sound alert
    i would love to have a program like hwmonitor with the ability to alert maybe with a sound when the temperature is too high

really appreciate your help
    have a nice day

2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Trust me on this one, the defacto standard now is Speedfan. I have used every program for monitoring temps with intentions of controlling fan speeds rather than raising alarms. I have scoured the web days and days worth. I have tried them all, well, all that one can find anyway. You will not find one that works on current hardware that is better. It does as you request. Should you have an nVidia video adapter, your choise there will be RivaTuner, which again, you will not find a better one. Intel makes some sort of tool to notify you, so does Asus and Msi and Gigabyte for thier boards. Personal preference of course dictates some may like those better, but Speedfan and RivaTuner will both let you monitor your temps, log your temps, control your fans based on your temps and alert you to your temps. Even shut down your system if you would like. There are now plugins for Riva that allow on screen display in 3d apps (like gaming etc) to show you your FPS, memroy speed, temps, fan speeds etc.

I can help you figure out how to tune it to your likings, I have done it, erm, maybe a few hundred times lol.

Sul.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    core temp doesn't monitor hard disks
    pc wizard it's cool but it has not an alarm

PROROOTECT does HWMonitor installs service or changes some xp important key ?
    i would like only a monitor , that doesn't change fanspeed or other

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    but i fear about speedfan
    i mean it change values about fan and so on
    how can i restore to default?
    it could mess up my xp

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Just checked it out. Nice little piece of work that is, especially on my Dell laptop.

Thx

7. crofttk

What makes you think it changes your fan values? It looks to me like it changes NOTHING of your settings out of the box. Besides, it looks to me like it mainly allows you to monitor information and set alarm levels and various means of notifying you that levels you set are exceeded.

I'll look again to see what I missed.:doubt:

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Do`t think you missed anything.

Has been a while since I used any such software (real time monitoring). If memory serves me Speedfan has the option to change fan speed (on some mobos). This is the only time it would make registry changes other then of course any added values it makes on install.

9. crofttk

Thanks, I saw that now on second pass. In any event, it looks very much worthwhile just from a monitoring standpoint and, despite the name Speedfan, I personally wouldn't worry about it making fan speed changes if I haven't told it or allowed it explicitly to do so.:)

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i used some time ago
    and i changed the speed fan but i was not able to reset to the default value
    i remember i changed the cpu and video card speed fan

i changed the speed fan of a ati x700 because it did buzz , and i burned it

i would love to know if there is a reset..

11. ThunderZ

Perhaps Crofttk can verify. I think there is an option to save default settings before making changes.

I do remember when I tried it that it seemed a bit buggy in getting it to change the speed percentages and maintaining the settings once applied.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

the solution of a mess up , is a format and re-install of xp ?:thumbd:

13. ThunderZ

If all you are installing is speedfan and do not have an image of your current system then I would think backing up your registry prior to the install should do the trick. If you run into a problem with speed fan then uninstall it, restore your reg. back-up file and you should be back where you started.

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

What are you guys talking about? Speedfan? That is not the Speefan I use if it is. Let me clear some waters.

Speedfan detects a large number of sensor chips, cpu's, north/southbridge, video cards and most all your items including hdd's and smart data for hdd's. Installed it merely shows the values of what it finds. Not all motherboards are wired the way thier chips can be wired. So one mobo of chipset XXX has only 1 fan header to read rpm, or control speed, another mobo with chipset XXX is wired better, giving access to 3 fan headers each with rpm and speed control

Speedfan will display at first run the voltages, temps, speeds at rpm and speed at % of 100. It will not change anything. Indeed, you have to usually tell it to take manual control of an item. There is an option for overclocking, but I have not found a chip yet it supports. But again, you must choose to use that feature.

There are 3 .cfg files you can remove and save. this is what I do. You can download configs, which MIGHT have the checkbox 'automaticaly variate speeds'. This would mean based off temp thresholds, Speedfan will raise or lower the fans.

Used as a monitor, you can display them in try, send a beep or other trigger when temps reach high points. There is a graph you can add each item into to see a history. There is also option to log temps to a .csv file I believe.

What I do with it?

I find what fans speed rpm's and %'s are related to which sensor. Now I set in my case a Intel 975xbx2 mobo with c2d 6700, and evga 8800gtx vga. 3 hdds, 2xraid0 1xsingle. I have in Speedfan temps of
    CPU
    Core1 & Core2
    Mobo temp 1 and mobo temp 2
    VGA
    HDD

I then set manual control to all of them in Speedfan. I then give temps to keep at, so in Speedfan for Temp of CPU, I set to 38degree. This is what it tries to maintain. I set only the CPU fan to be active for that CPU temp. I set the speed for that fan as a lowest point of 30% speed. I set that fan for CPU to be checked to 'variate' so Speedfan will vary it according to my temp. I then check the box on main screen to have Speedfan automatically variate the speed.

I set up Core1 & Core2, which read about 10degree lower than CPU reading, that 32 is thier mean. Then I associate a fan speed with it that controls 2 120mm case fans and 3 80mm case fans. These I have set to minimum 30% as well.

Other temps like mobo temps or hdd temps are tied to different fans. Maybe the 120mm fans are cooling vga or mobo temp 1, and maybe the 80mm fans are cooling hdds and mobo temp 2 area.

Now when I start computer, Speedfan starts. Once it initialized, it lowers all fans to 30%. Not audible. If CPU goes up, cpu fan goes up. Once temp levels out, fans level out. Temps drop, fans drop. Temps rise, fans rise. Speedfan tries to keep your temp you set. If playing a game, all fans come on, depending on game, they may cycle up and down, but not fast. If I start torture test, and all fans are at 30%, and test spikes cpu to 100% instantly, Speedfan raises the fan speed very rapidly.

I know you can burn out your components. But not from default. It would be from user error. Not saying anything, just that Speedfan does not do anything for you that would hurt you by default. Not that I have ever seen, and I have used it on countless machines. You just have to know your thermal limits and play around a bit to see what your temps do in your use and decide what is a comfortable temp for you.

Sul.

15. crofttk

Sorry, have been off to airport to pick up relatives and may get time to look at it more later, but I'll have to read what Sul says and catch up. I understand mantra's concern about saving the starting point, however, and if I can add anything I will, although I don't doubt that Sully's way ahead of us on it anyways.

16. ThunderZ

I know he is on me. That is why I`m going to gladly set back and let him take over this one.

Way to long since I have used speedfan, and no longer use apps. of this type anyways.

17. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Speedfan is a really good program but it's also very powerful tool. I occasionally run it to bump my fan speed when gaming, hot weather and stress testing. I also only have one fan that is controllable as my other 5 are Antec Tri-Cools with 3 speed switches.

FWIW, here is an excellent Core 2 and Core i7 CPU temperature guide with instructions on calibrating the CPU temps for Speedfan. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

18. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I'd like to put in a plug for SpeedFan. I use it simply as a monitor. Have it set to display my CPU temp in the Notification Area and have an event set to tell me when the CPU is getting warm.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Ok gents. I have put my domain on a free webhost. It is nothing special, just some different things I scripted up to share with friends and family. A few articles. But, I went ahead and made a pictorial for Speedfan. I don't know if my config is advanced or not. I do know that I never find anyone uploading configs for my boards, so I have to wing it.

Anyway, I give pictures of a default Speedfan installation, pics of some tools you can use to help figure out what those temps and speed really relate to hardware wise. You should examine your mobo manual to find out more about your fan headers and sensors. Mr Google can help too.

Beware though, I don't like HTML, and I just took the snapshots in an order that I thought you might be able to understand. No cropping or resizing. Half of the pics are at 1900x1200 (my desktop), so those with slow connections, you might want to get a cup of java while it loads.

Hopefully this will help understand what you can do with Speedfan. Having used it for many x86 architecture generations now, it has always worked causing no problems. The newer the motherboard, the better the sensors, the better Speedfan can interact.

Good luck.

www.mrwoojoo.com

Sul.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes Sul
    thanks
    but when you tweak speed fan , the software speedfan change xp to manage the fan speed , and again how can i reset ?

i mean i had an ati x700 , some years ago and with speed fan i lower the fan speed , i stopped to used speedfan(the program) and after some time , the video card was burned

so speedfan was able to cominicate with video cards and set (force) the speed
    if you uninstall it , the speed of the video card isn't reset , is the the speed that speedfan setup

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does HWMonitor 1.14 change the fan speed?

22. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Yes Mantra, HW Monitor v1.14 is only a monitor, that READS PC systems main health sensors: voltages, temperatures, fans speed.

You're right: it is the best!

PS. Windows itself can adjust the speed of fan.

PS2. Mantra, remember also Core Temp. ... and do not forget me!:argh:

P:thumb:

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

core temp does monitor only cpu
    i want to monitor ram , mother , and hard disks
    by the way i'm looking for a program with an alarm ,( a sound when the temperature is too high)

ciao

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Sul tanks for the weblink
    but do you know if there a reset?
    i mean does speedfan set the speed of the fans in the registry?
    or does a boot reset the speedfan changes..

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Speedfan changes no speed, as AFAIK, only has .cfg for preferance storage.

Open Speedfan. Click button CONFIGURE. New window opens. Click Tab ADVANCED. In drop-down box labeled 'chip', find your different chips. In my nvidia chip, the options listed are 'Temperature offset 1 & 2'. Nothing there. If I navigate to my motherboard chipset which is listed as 'aSC7621 at $2E on Intel SMBus', I see I have PWM 1, PWM 2 & PWM 3. These are my three controllable fan headers. But, Speedfan cannot control them because, they are set to 'On Zone 1 Auto' or 'Always on Full', or whatever it might say. In order to let Speedfan have control over them, I must choose the option 'Manually controlled'. Further, on the bottom of this screen, where you would choose the option 'Manually controlled' there is a checkbox to remember this answer. So you can TRY the new setting, without KEEPING the new setting.

Then, from the first page of SpeedFan you can now use the speed % boxes to raise and lower the fan speeds. As far as a RESET, you would reset those 'Manually controlled' values back to 'Auto' or whatever was available. I have not see an option as that for video card though. I do have somewhere an fx5900 it can control fan speed on, but not without me first telling it to.

Besided, there are better tools to handle vga adapters fans with.

HTH.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.