Looking for good free password manager

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Blue Ring, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a good free password manager that can be run off a USB thumb drive and also can't be easily keylogged by keyloggers and keylogging trojans? Thanks a lot for any good recommendations.

2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

3. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

If you are willing to store all your passwords, you may use Keepass.

If you're willing to auto-fill login and passwords forms on boards like Wilders Security once you are surfing on web, you can't rely on Keepass.

Unless I don't know the correct way to deal with him, he is incapable of doing that. So, he is worthless to me. I am using Firefox.

I keep asking myself why these browsers can't store all your passwords the same way Keepass can do. Instead, they choose to reveal all our passwords and form informations to everyone who may use our PC without our authorization.

Firefox is even worse than IE, when it comes to passwords.

Unless my life becomes very boring (having to spend one minute instead of seconds to log everywhere), I will keep saving my passwords on Firefox.

4. Blue Ring

Thanks Tony. I have heard of KeePass, but I thought a while back I read someone said the program wasn't secure due to the plug-ins or something along those lines, so I wasn't using it. But now after looking into the program again I see that only matters if you run the install version and actually use the optional plug-ins, which I don't plan on doing either.

Here's what it says right on the KeePass website in the plug-ins section:

Warning
    The plugins offered on this page are developed by different, independent authors. The KeePass team cannot check all plugins for bugs and/or malicious code and/or spyware before they are distributed here. Therefore, plugins need to be seen as possible security risk/hole and it's up to you if you trust the plugin developers or not.

http://keepass.info/plugins.html

Kinda scary.

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

6. Blue Ring

Now that looks interesting Cerxes. Thanks for the recommendation. :) Me like open source.

7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Me too :)

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I only use Password Depot and if you don't store more then 20 passwords, you can use it for free. :)
    It will also run on USB flash drives.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Looks very interesting. Questions about Password Gorilla-
    Program says a username/password is copied to the clipboard. I am assuming it is then pasted to the appropriate log in area?

Is the clipboard later automatically erased after the username/password has been copied to it?

thanks

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

When you double click a login name, the password is copied to the clipboard. After 10 seconds (your choice) the clipboard will be automatically cleared.

/C.

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Blue Ring That just means that it is not checked by Keepass, the responsibility falls on the 3rd party plugin maker for defects and flaws (you just email the maker ie where you downloaded it should have the info) as for spyware you can scan for viruses and spyware yourself you should scan all downloads anyway.

12. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I like KeePass because it will work on a USB flash drive (portable version) and there's a PocketPC port as well.

13. Blue Ring

Eldar,

Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe it will help someone else but I have way more than 20 passwords.

Carver,

Thanks. I'm aware of what your saying. I just don't trust the plug-ins for KeePass. AV scans or not, they could still have a flaw/bug that could lead to compromise. Maybe even purposefully put there. But I still like KeePass and thinks it's a great free password manager.

I think I would take KeePass portable version over Gorilla though because it sounds like KeePass does have at least some protection against clipboard loggers and that's more what I was looking for.

I might just end up using a virtual keyboard to input passwords and avoid password managers that use the clipboard all together, because it could be a weak link in the chain, so to speak.

14. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

The Password Safe project is very active and supports U3. Still on my evaluation list.

15. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Keepass can fill in usernames and passwords for you and can even fill in other sections of forms if you configure it correctly. Look in Keepass' Help file under Autotype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.