Looking for File Catalogging Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Alright I ordered a nice 1.5TB 7200RPM Barracuda HD and an external bay the other day for $120 from Newegg. I plan on storing music, movies, programs, .isos, pictures, along with incremental laptop backups for recovery purposes.

Im looking for a program that will allow me to catalog everything with the exception of the laptop backups. I will have those on a seperate partition away from the other stuff. The music, movies, programs, etc will all be in folders and upon downloading will be sent to the proper folder based on file type.

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I would recommend Wincatalog Lite, free for personal use. I use it on a regular basis. There is a pro version, but it takes ages to load and save catalogs. The lite version is definitely better in that domain.

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Have a look at Locate32 as well. It's a desktop search engine that is very fast at indexing hard drives and other media. (I'm not familiar with WinCatalog so I cannot compare them).

You may also want to take a look USBDLM. It manages drive letter assignments for USB and Firewire drives. I use it to ensure that my external hard drives and flash drives always have their own (same) letter because otherwise programs like Locate32, Acronis True Image and VMware Workstation get confused by the drive letter changes caused by Windows XP's default drive letter assignment procedure.

Both are free for personal use.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I havent decided which program Im going to use for backups at the moment. Im more concerned with the catalogging of the other media.

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.