looking for backup av for nod32....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hello all need to know what plays well with nod not being used as resident , which i will continue to use nod for. i have heard of some conflicts before so just from everyones experience here suggestions would be great. think about arcavir. avast, mks, clam av (dont know about this one yet ) or any others you guys suggest. avast i have heard some conflict but nnot being used as resident i wouldnt think any would arise. thanks all

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Take BitDefender Free and eScan Free as backup and your pretty much protected :)

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

kav4.5 worked for me in a similar setup. be careful when isntalling kav4.5 and choose 'custom installation' when promted, uncheck everything except the 2 components that cant be unchecked, and the updater and the scanner. this should leave u with just 4 components. this setup causes no conflicts for me running drweb as resident scanner

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Avast! and NOD32 play together well and its a excellent combo, there's a few using both as resident running the same time :)

5. zfactor

i think after looking at many on the web sites i seem to maybe want to limit it to avast, arcavir, antivir, mks unless something else is better. i want to keep this on my computer i know there are online scanners but i feel more comfortable with it on demand anytime on my system thanks all

6. zfactor

i just donwloaded the shaw version av which is free. how is this program have any of you used it

7. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

didnt get the shaw one myself, but its f-secure, so its probably excelent detection wise. would be very surprised if it doesent conflict with your nod tho. f-secure, last time i tried it, runs at least 10 processes and leaves junk behind when uninstalling. use total uninstall when installing, thats my advice

8. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Agreed, I did the same thing some time ago, using nav as resident scanner and kav 4.5 as manual backup. ;)

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

zfactor,

In selecting a second layer of coverage, try to target complementary coverage. Look at the potential weak links in your primary layer and choose your solution to address those potential deficiencies. Selecting a second AV from all those available without assessing their relative strengths and weaknesses can result in you implementing a pair of programs which have completely overlapping coverage. You want to avoid this so that, at the end of the day, you coverage is maximized.

For NOD32, I'd focus on two things: it's strong heuristics and historical (although now diminishing) weakness in trojan detection. To complement the heuristics, go with an AV that has a very comprehensive signature database (I'd go with KAV 4.5 here). On the trojan side, it would be BOClean or possibly TDS-3. These are two unique solutions which address different facets of your complete coverage. You generally don't want to cover all conceivable bases since that can lead to a cascade of interacting programs which will slow your system and increase the likelyhood of instability. Address what you perceive to be the major issue.

For me - NOD32 & BOClean was the answer. No secondary demand scanner on the primary partition. KAV on a secondary boot partition (I'm cheating since I had a 5 user license discount driving this, I haven't booted to it in a while).

Blue

10. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have used F-Prot as a backup scanner on a system with NOD32 before and had no problems with it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.