Looking for answering machine software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Blackspear, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I am looking for recommendations of answering machine software to go on my computer.

Suggestions please.

Cheers :D

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    How's the budget? Free or not?
    I have a friend who uses cable voip phone and he uses some sort of the software you might like. I'll ask him if he got it from the provider or if he bought / downloaded it.
    Mrk

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

4. Blackspear

5. Blackspear

About to try IVM Telephone Answering Attendant 2.42, it looks really impressive from the screenshots and only US$19.50

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Blackspear,

Depending on how far you want to go (and if you have a spare box lying around) then you could try out Asterisk.

It's probably (nay, almost certainly) overkill for what you want, but its an open-source Linux PBX system. There's an asterisk@home project which should work pretty much out of the box (although I have never tried that distribution).

It also supports VOIP through a number of providers - you can get a number for around $10 per month.

It has pretty much all of the features you'd want in an answering machine and, all of the features you'd want in a top-end PBX system - such as IVR, call queues, voicemail, music on hold, etc.

When we first started using it, we diverted our standard telstra number to our voip indial number and voila - cooking on gas :)

Probably overkill, but if you get bored it's definitely worth playing around with.

Mike

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

My advice is that you change the way you are looking at things. If you have cable internet (broadband) then you should consider using Vonage as your VOIP provider. $25 / month and you get all the bells and wistles (3-way calling, caller ID, call waiting with caller ID, and much more). When someone leaves me a voice message, I get an e-mail letting me know and the e-mail contains a .wav file attachment of the message.

That doesn't include the fact that I can call anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and now Europe for free. The call quality is awesome and you can use your regular phone. You take your small Vonage box with you and plug it into any broadband connection anwhere you go and your phone service goes with you. Also, the online account manager is cool. I can see, almost in real time, an activity sheet that tells me who called me, who I called, when, and how long we talked. Oh, and I can set my calls to be forwarded to any number without having to do it from my phone. I can make all adjustments to my phone from anywhere that has internet access.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  8. Blackspear

Thanks Mike, when I start playing with Linux I'll have a further look in this direction.

G'day dallen, they don't appear to operate in Australia.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've been using CallStation (http://www.imptec.com/) for years, and absolutely love it. I tried out a bunch of others, but this was the one that I liked the most, with the best set of features (there's lots). I even made a custom skin for the CallerID popups :D

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

My apologies for assuming that you were American. I hope that you don't consider the assumption insulting.

Your comment caused me to call Vonage to verify that they do not offer service in Australia. That is a fact. They offer service in Austria right now, but not Australia. I could not get any information as to when, or if, the service would be offered there. All I can say is that you should keep your eye on Vonage because if you have broadband service and they begin to offer service down under, I think you would not regret giving the service a try.

11. Blackspear

Thanks Notok, that is one I have downloaded ready to try.

No worries dallen, and I shall keep an eye on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.