looking for advice on sandboxing

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by stephenjg_2001, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenjg_2001

stephenjg_2001 Registered Member

Ok so i have been trying to start a sandbox setup on my laptop but theres so much information out there im wondering if i can put together opinions on the best choices. What im looking for is a program that i can browse the web daily, sometimes including things that most people say to avoid, torrents, xxx, etc. then just dump the sandbox and know nothing has gotten thru. Sorry im new at this but im very interested.

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Search Wilder's for Sandboxie.

3. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

if u dont know any thing about sandbox just go with defensewall..
    Other wise Sandboxie. Simple to understand:thumb:

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

6. stephenjg_2001

ok so that all makes sense im gonna try sandboxie but im unclear on one thing. So someone using sandboxie goes onto a site that is decighed to spam your email(not sure how that happens) is that still possible still, nothing has to be installed for a site to read a cookie with your email address... Thanks for everything.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Try to think of Sandboxie as a literal sandbox kids play in.

A sandbox usually has a perimeter to contain the sand so it does not get all over the yard. Sandboxie does this, it keeps the sandbox separate from the rest of the system.

After you play in the sandbox, you rake it flat to start fresh. Sandboxie can do the same, delete the contents of the sandbox to start clean again.

If while in the sandbox, you have an oopsy and touch the cat doo-doo, you can remove the cat doo-doo. Sandboxie can do the same, removing only a certain component of the sandbox if desired.

If while playing in the sandbox you find a valuable coin, you can put it in your pocket and take it home. Sandboxie also can "keep" things that are in the sandbox for permanent storage.

If while playing in the sandbox you give your mothers credit card number to a stranger who is also in the sandbox, then you are foolish. Sandboxie can't help you if you do foolish things with others.

However, if you are playing in the sandbox, and a stranger asks you for your street address, unlike a real life sandbox, sandboxie will keep the stranger from accessing anywhere but the sandbox.

When new to sandbox technology or any virtualizing, one must first understand how the technology seeks to create a barrier between the REAL system and the VIRTUAL system. After you know how it works, you look at how it might fail, and make your settings accordingly.

Sul.

8. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

Sandboxie is the way to go, it barely leaves a footprint, and after trying it out for the first time you'd think "is that it?"

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Despite all of my other security programs, I would still feel naked surfing the net without Sandboxie.

Acadia

10. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Very good analogy! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Ice

11. stephenjg_2001

Thank you that makes sense, does that also include toolbars, video codecs etc? For example, you go to a website with tv shows and other video files for free, before you can watch any movies you get a box in the window saying "codec needed, download?" now obviously its probably going to download spyware etc but after i close the page will i still be ok?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.