Looking for a way to power off laptop monitor manually

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I used to have a utility called m_off that worked great, but I reformatted awhile back and never reinstalled it. Tonight I went looking for a download but the developer's website no longer exists and all the downloads I found at other sites led nowhere. So a two-part question:

1) Would anyone know if m_off's still available for download anywhere? It was perfect for quickly turning a laptop monitor on and off.

2) If not, does anyone know of any other FREE tools? The smaller the better, m_off was only 17 KB and required no installation. But the main thing I loved about it was you could configure it to turn off the monitor by pressing one key on the keyboard. I really want something that has that feature.

Thanks. :)

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

3. allizomeniz

Appreciate it Wild.

I tried CloseMonitor and it's basically like m_off except I have to use Ctrl+Alt+M instead of just M. That's no big deal though. :)

I'm not sure, but I think you have to have another monitor connected to be able to use the FN keys, at least on my Toshiba anyway. There's a monitor key but it's for switching monitors only.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. allizomeniz

Thanks for that info stapp, a couple of good ideas. I was thinking about it, and I believe I was wrong about m_off. I think it must have also used Ctrl+Alt+M. If it was just M, every time I typed M the monitor would shut off. :D It's been awhile and I can't really remember though. CloseMonitor is working great, no problemas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.