Looking for a way to power off laptop monitor manually

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I used to have a utility called m_off that worked great, but I reformatted awhile back and never reinstalled it. Tonight I went looking for a download but the developer's website no longer exists and all the downloads I found at other sites led nowhere. So a two-part question:

1) Would anyone know if m_off's still available for download anywhere? It was perfect for quickly turning a laptop monitor on and off.

2) If not, does anyone know of any other FREE tools? The smaller the better, m_off was only 17 KB and required no installation. But the main thing I loved about it was you could configure it to turn off the monitor by pressing one key on the keyboard. I really want something that has that feature.

Thanks. :)

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

3. allizomeniz

Appreciate it Wild.

I tried CloseMonitor and it's basically like m_off except I have to use Ctrl+Alt+M instead of just M. That's no big deal though. :)

I'm not sure, but I think you have to have another monitor connected to be able to use the FN keys, at least on my Toshiba anyway. There's a monitor key but it's for switching monitors only.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. allizomeniz

Thanks for that info stapp, a couple of good ideas. I was thinking about it, and I believe I was wrong about m_off. I think it must have also used Ctrl+Alt+M. If it was just M, every time I typed M the monitor would shut off. :D It's been awhile and I can't really remember though. CloseMonitor is working great, no problemas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.