Looking for a new FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Hi everyone here. Ok today my online armour has expired, Ive been using this FW now for say over three years but now I am wanting to try a new FW, either free or paid, but something thats good.

I was happy with OA but just would like to now try something new.

Question

1. Keep OA

2. Get a new FW either paid or good free one.

3. Any reccomendations ?

Thanks

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Comodo is a good choice.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know a fair number of users who use W7 firewall. I do not know of any who have a penetration. I am using it now.

Jerry

4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

Or you can buy a lifetime licence of Outpost Pro FW which is very good, purchasing the Lifetime License you will be able to use the same license key for all future upgrades to the Outpost Firewall Pro software without limitation. for more information see link http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/index.php

5. Sevens

Sevens Guest

I think it would be hard for anybody to better Comodo paid or unpaid. I ran Win. 7 firewall with a couple of the different front-ends(at different times) and it was heavier than Comodo.

6. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I like Comodo but I believe that PrivateFirewall also get good reports. You did not indicate if you still want a HIPS. There are other choices if you only want the firewall.

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I was in the exact same situation as yourself. I had used Online Armor for a few years and was VERY satisfied with it. I probably would have kept right on using it as long as Tall Emu and Mike Nash were proprietors of the product - despite the fact that there was a "yearly renewal fee" associated with it. Simply put, I was happy with it. However, once it was sold....knowing how many software products are often treated like "little red-headed step children" soon after they are acquired, and/or the quality suffers greatly and the product goes downhill soon there after.....I decided to do what SpeedyPC suggested (below):

I purchased a lifetime license for Outpost Firewall Pro....a one-time fee with no renewal costs, and have been running OFP for a couple of years now without any problems (knock on wood ;) )

Definitely worth looking in to :thumb:

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Maybe you can try Rising Firewall? Nice and friendly app :thumb:

9. SpeedyPC

Rising Firewall is created by the Chinese, no thank you.

10. 4hunter4

4hunter4 Registered Member

I really like Kapersky Labs products. I have tried many many other security products and am very pleased after 3 years. I currently use KIS (Kapersky Internet Security) 2013. All in one product av plus firewall plus many tools.
    Highly recommend, I also liked their product PURE 2.0 but it was a bit more then I required. 30 day free trial on all products. You can buy KIS 2012 from Amazon for around $10.00 right now.:)

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That is a rather narrow-minded response.lots of excellent products have come out of china.:ninja:

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

13. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I would recommend Outpost or Comodo.

14. The Red Moon

what is outpost free firewall like to use.?
    Does mse or avast run ok with that firewall.?
    Thanks.:thumb: :ninja:

15. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

For free I'd go for Comodo. As compared to OA Free much more granular. For paid Outpost Firewall Pro, OA Premium or Defensewall.

16. SpeedyPC

Not unless I wipe my bare backside as a toilet paper is not a rather narrow-minded response, their are a lot of people don't hardly install any Rising product and I'm sure a lot of Chinese people would but not from our side of the picture they are some country are very concern using their product.

Outpost Pro FW is far stronger then Outpost Free FW they don't operate the same security level strength but similar IF I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  17. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I've been using OA for over a year now, absolutely no problems at all.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree...I like the KIS firewall, and it also had that banner blocker feature which is handy. I haven't used this year's latest version but I assume it still has that.

19. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Definitely a great choice! Outpost Firewall Pro and Vipre A/V... both with Lifetime licenses. After trying many firewalls for many years, I found a perfect combination.....

20. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

I want my Sygate back but a new product of Sygate and not designed by Symantec.

Sygate was the best firewall back in the days but pity they stop upgrade/update it..

21. The Red Moon

Out of those two i would tend to choose the comodo firewall as its more actively developed and improved than outpost.
    Outpost free tends to get neglected in favour of the pay version.:shifty: :ninja:

22. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

I've tried most of the FW and keep coming back to Online Armor for stability and updates,

Along with the HIPS protection and configurability it's still one of the best firewalls.............I wouldn't run a Comodo product if you paid me.

23. The Red Moon

why not comodo.?:ninja:

24. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'll answer that, from MY perspective (and strictly from MY perspective)

Years ago, I tried Comodo. I'm not exaggerating.....it was - simply put - THE most incompatible software I've ever ran on my computer.

I experienced constant re-boots, constant "freezes", and constant problems.

I got in touch with Comodo's customer service, and tried everything they suggested. Uninstalling and re-installing a few times, running some diagnostic tests and sending them reports, etc., etc. They couldn't figure out what the problem was. All I know, is that when it was installed, my computer was rendered inoperable. Once it was uninstalled, everything was fine again. And I couldn't tell you how many software security products I've tried over the years (dozens).....and that was the first one that ever caused any problems on my computer.

I'm sure it's changed and been improved over the years (as has Outpost Pro Firewall, which is constantly being improved upon and makes your statement above very factually incorrect), and is much improved....but considering my initial horror of an experience with it coupled with the fact that I have a comparable firewall product that is paid for and works excellent on my PC, I have no need to revisit Comodo.

25. The Red Moon

Sorry for your bad experience with comodo.
    On a personal note ive never had a problem with it.
    Ive actually never tried outpost firewall and i base my statement purely on other user comments and experience.
    Certainly i would give the free firewall a try.(i presume they still do this.?).
    At the minute im running kaspersky which runs very well and when my subscription runs out i will perhaps look at other options.
    I know agnitum produce a free security suite.but is the free firewall still available.
    regards.:ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.