Looking for a new av for w2000 pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well ive unistalled AVG ISS ,because it doesnt play nice since i installed w2000 pro (worked fine on 98se).It hogs the cpu something terrible making my system slow to open apps .I just tryed antivir premium,and wasnt impressed ...again (had too many problems when i had a licence and was running it on 98se).This time the "trial/demo?" wont let me update which is pathetic ,and as usual the email component fails to initiate..so its good bye avira.I dont want kaspersky either.Is there anyone who runs w2000 who can recommend a simple,basic,low resource av ,that is foremost stable and reliable?.Ive tried many avs on 98se ,but of course these may behave differently now i have 2000 installed ,though im still using a low spec p3733mhz machine with 392mb of ram.
    ellison

2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

You should try Nod32 and see if it plays good with your system.

3. ellison64

Is nod av currently in development for the next version? ,or is that just for the suite?.I gotta be honest , iwasnt that impressed with its ad/spyware detection last time i used it.Thats what put me off it a bit,and i dont really want to install another programe just for ad/spyware.Mmm missing AVG already in that respect.
    ellison

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Did you previously have NOD32 2.5 or 2.7? I remember 2.5 had issues with spyware detection but 2.7 seems to handle spyware much better.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Although only the suite is being tested, there will still be a standalone NDO32 AV.

6. ellison64

Mmm.well it would have been about a year and a half ago ,i had a licence ,so it may have been 2.5.?.Grisoft support suggested i try the new avg build out today ,so if that dont work i ll try nod again if the ad/spyware detection has improved.
    ellison
    ellison

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The program improves every day . The next version 3 and ESS will be excellent when ready . They are big step up for ESET .

8. ellison64

Ive actually downloaded and installed the 30 day trial.Nice to see its a fully functional trial unlike some others.So far so good.Everything works including the mail scanner ,straight out of the packet,and resources are negligible.There is slight slowdown using the http scanner ,but thats to be expected,and in any case its easy to just disable that particular function.I may just keep this one,after the 30 days are up though i would want to make sure ,that i would get a free upgrade to version 3 if its within the year period.If not then i may wait.
    ellison

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I already wrote you some things in the ESET forum section you may follow to try to fast up things a bit . As for the http scan what I wrote is for XP and Vista I didn't know you use Win 2000 :thumb:

10. ellison64

Ill check the eset forum and your posts ,when i have a bit more time.Getting this OS the way i like it at the moment.Its nice because it looks and feels like 98se only i can now try all those programes that XP users can :)
    I have to get a USB pci card though as the pcs built in one isnt compatible with 2000.I have a spare slot ,so it shouldnt be a problem.
    ellison

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Provided Windows is well patched, you may want to try BitDefender as well....;)

12. ellison64

I tried bitdefender with 98 ,and found it a little heavy ,though i guess it would perform differently on 2000.Im finding im liking the nod trial ,as it works and i havent had to potch with it to get anything to work out of the box and its very light.Im still in contact with grisoft ,and they have confirmed its the resident shield casusing the problem.Im waiting for a debug version.So it will be install /uninstall with that for the next few days i guess.I had enough messing with antivir,which is why i switched to avg.Still i owe it to them to try and find a solution as their support has been excellent and the av served me well on 98.
    ellison

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If nod32 does not work out for you maybe try Avast.
    Don't get me wrong nod's a very good AV.(had it for a while myself)
    Unlike some others thou Avast Pro has a 60 day trial.
    Thats what i'm on now and liking it.
    The free version provides excellent protection as well.
    I think the only feature i'll miss if I decide to go with the home version(free) instead of the pro version(paid) is the script blocking.

14. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Why have you dismissed Kaspersky? Amazon is currently offering it for free after a $50 rebate and you can upgrade via the Kaspersky site to v 7.

I haven't used it myself because I've heard it can be resource heavy, but I haven't read much about version 7. What I do know is that it's supposed to be one of the best scan engines around and their updates are frequent.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  15. ellison64

I may try avast over the next day or so out of curiosity.So far i think ill keep nod as its working nice ,though i have sent a debug to grisoft so im waiting on that too.I used avast for a while on 98 but found it a little heavier than avg to run.Though now i m using 2000 there shouldnt be that problem.
    ellison

16. ellison64

I know its probably the best out there for detection,but all the times ive tried it (on 98 admittedly),its always conflicted with something or other or id some freezes opening apps.Im not knocking kav ,but its never been the smoothest to run on my system,and these days i just want a set and forget av that works.Avg did just that on 98 and nod seems to be doing that now im on 2000.
    ellison

17. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I use Avast Home and I am seriously considering upgrading to Avast Pro... I wouldn't use Kaspersky anything due to the ISwift-IChecker Technology. Sorry but I don't want to be Eugene and Company's Guinea Pig...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.