Looking for a new a basic firewall with inbound and outbound

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by allizomeniz, Jan 6, 2015.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've been using Windows 8 Firewall Control by SphinxSoft but it has a major limitation. Every time Flash player updates for example, I have to create a new exception because it can't remember from one version of Flash to the next. It does the same thing with KMPlayer only in this case I have to create a new exception every day if not more. KMPlayer has some kind of screwy update checker that you can't disable and W8FC hits on it constantly, the free version does at least.

So anyway, I'm looking for a free basic firewall that can block inbound and outbound, and that's really all I need it to do, as well as overcome the limitations of W8FC mentioned above. TinyWall requires .NET Framework and I don't run that on this particular computer so that's not an option. Gizmo has ZoneAlarm Free listed as a basic firewall but from reading more recent reviews it seems to be a resource hog and has more than just inbound and outbound checking.

Can anyone recommend something that might work for me? I'm using Windows XP SP3. Thanks.

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Okay, so I found Ashampoo Firewall Free. It's an older program but works on XP and that's what I need.

It seems like a decent program. The interface is very nice and easy to use. It has effectively killed KM Player's tentacles, so that's one thing. As long as I don't run into any unexpected problems I think I can live with it. I like it better that W8FC for XP anyway. :thumb:

I'd still like to find a replacement for W8FC to use on Vista and 7, so if anyone has any ideas I'd still like to hear them. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.