Looking for a good AT to run alongside with NOD32…

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Matt_Smi, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Is EWIDO better than Boclean then? I have NOD32 also running and am looking for an AT program with resident protection also that would not cripple my machine and that gives me a nice protection.
    I see that ewido is more than a resident scanner, but speaking about resident protection is it better than boclean? TDS-3 appears to not cover well the resident protection needs then I will leave that one out.
    Thanks, wonderful thread.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, i don't think Ewido is better than BOClean, Ewido is the newcomer and looks very promising and already has a big signaturebase. BOClean has been around since trojans was born, BOClean literally means Back Orifice Clean ( Back Orifice was if not the first, then one of the very first trojans) and they know their stuff.

I think that they are both really good choices, it all comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with. Both run very "light" on my computer (no crippling ;) ).
    TDS-3 is a very good trojan-scanner with a large database, from what i have read (and experienced) it can be a little heavy on resources, only one way to find out: pay $49, the residentprotection is unfortunately not available in the trial. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  3. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Thanks for your opinions. I am very attracted for the Ewido offer, it looks strong and complete. If TDS4 was already here I think I had go for it, it has a very big database as you say, but I don't want to pay for a program just to find that its resident protection was not the best (TDS3). I think that an AT must have both modules well implemented (resident + on dammand scan).

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Re: Looking for a good AT to run alongside with NOD32…

Can anyone point me to an anti-Trojan comparison test that shows how EWIDOSS stacks up against any of the other major players - a test that's recent , that is?

Thorz - Do you like to be able to look at logs that show what your A/T has been doing lately for you? You won't find any if you choose EWIDO (God knows why the program doesn't log anything where you can access it.

Do you like a program where you can exclude various directories from scanning for whatever reason? Then EWIDO's not for you, because it won't do that.

Is the detection of "rebased" trojans high on your "I want that" list. Because - while EWIDO had at one time conquered that particular problem - nothing in the news about the latest version out there confirms that this is still the case.

I'm sorry, I just can't (based on the above) recommend EWIDOSS as anyone's primary A/T scanner.

As a back-up scanner - sure. Even as a back-up resident scanner (that's how I run it). Pete

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

for a test: look at the scheinsicherheit project (you'll see how ewido performs best ;))

there is a log when ewido finds something and cleans something, for the rest you won't find any log.

Ewido doesn't exclude items, true but the upcoming version will have one as Fish pointed that out allready.

that particular thing regarding rebased trojans is long time now fixed and is stated also on the scheinsicherheits project Pete...I am sure you know what I'm talking about.

it is a new program but allready outperforms the rest if you ask me. I don't know how tds-4 will look like (I am waiting too) and I surely don't know how ewido 4 will look like but if it continues like this...I will be a happy resident scanner user of Ewido (on access I mean)

cheers

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

INFINITY - The date of the test you're referring to is: ntl, 25 February 2004 (it's why I specifically specified a "recent" test result), if it's this one: http://scheinsicherheit.mirrorz.com/ .

Do you know of any other tests (recent, with ESS's most recent program version, 3.0) that have been done, comparison-wise?

I don't. If anyone does, please share the results (with links to the test) with us, please. Pete

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

this was done in october 2004 afaik

As regards new ewido 3.0 ...
    Rebasing vulnerability still not solved.
    Unicode Support: Yes.
    Helios 2.4: Still not detected although the database on the webpage says ...

Backdoor.Helios
    Backdoor.Helios.12
    Backdoor.Helios.12.b
    Backdoor.Helios.12.C
    Backdoor.Helios.12.d
    Backdoor.Helios.13
    Backdoor.Helios.14
    Backdoor.Helios.15
    Backdoor.Helios.16
    Backdoor.Helios.17
    Backdoor.Helios.18
    Backdoor.Helios.20
    Backdoor.Helios.21
    Backdoor.Helios.22
    Backdoor.Helios.24
    Backdoor.Helios.25
    Backdoor.Helios.26
    Backdoor.Helios.3
    Backdoor.Helios.31
    Backdoor.Helios.408
    TrojanDropper.HeliosBinder.10.b
    CIA 1.22 is not detected (at least not the variant contained in our test archive).
    Overall detection rate: 230 out of 556 malware samples were not detected.

the rebasing vulnerability is still applicable though, you are right about that. I misinformed myself :) sorry Pete.

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

No problem. Pete

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Everything will be fixed, improved and missing features added in 4.0 ;)

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I look forward to it. Pete

11. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Keep in mind that NOD is giving alot of protection from trojans anyway . An AT is just backup for what NOD will miss . So , any of the above mentioned should be fine for you . Try them all . See what you like , interface and control wise , and what you can spend . Or NOT spend . And use that to make your decision . Any of them ALONG with NOD and you will not go wrong . I use the same as Claire but , again , it really does not matter . Good luck in your quest

12. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I strongly reccomend ewido. Fantastic program with very frequent updates!

13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

And by the way . TrojanHunter with the real time protection enabled , can cause chat programs to disconnect . 4.0 and 4.1 did this . I used both on many different occasions . Each time I would try a different test . TH was the cause . If you use a chat program , could be a pain in the butt . Could be an isolated issue but , happened many times on different setups . Good luck .

14. happin-in

happin-in Guest

Nod and KAV ( as an on demand )

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Expensive though and difficult to run KAV 5 as an on-demand scanner ;)

A much cheaper option, if you were looking for a second AV as backup would be to use the free KAV clone, eScan AV Toolkit Utility; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65398

IMHO, if you are looking for trojan protection to your main AV, I would always choose a dedicated AT program, rather than a second AV.

In particular, for cleaning the infection effectively and for reducing the chances of system instabilities. Two AV's on the same computer, even when one is only installed as an on-demand scanner, may cause conflicts and performance issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.