Lookin 4 fully manual update antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dober, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dober

dober Guest

we don’t have net at home, however our local library is very close and has many very fast download (2Gb/sec) computers connected and my children bring home all kind of downloads music, games, free stuff, etc on CDs and floppies . I am thinking of installing an antivirus to protect the computer. is there an antivirus (free if possible) that can be updated manually (by downloading the new virus definitions from the library on a CD to our computer at home) or the antivirus needs a net connected to be updated. Thank you

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Silly, the best internet protection is no internet, but this case proves otherwise!
    Best way: get a modem and a dialup internet account. Install decent (free) antivirus and firewall and regularly visit the Microsoft windowsupdate site.

Or close down your system for the kids.

3. dober

dober Guest

As I understood from your rely is that antivirus need an internet connection

you are quite right

right again, one day and on this forum I read about McAfee and NOD32 stand alone scanners and decided to give McAfee scanner a go (it has newer date than NOD) it found 12 dangerous viruses on our computer. I was surprised because the computer is not connected to a net. that’s why I asked.. Thank you

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi dober :)

The moment anyone [kids, adults, family dog] brings home floppies/discs, you are immediately at risk from viruses, etc.

Especially from such sources as a public computer centre.

Now, they may not be able to spread, however, the viruses, worms, etc, can still cause havoc with your system files and grind your PC down.

So if that's the case, you definitely need an AV of some description. Going to the trouble of downloading defs, burning to CD, installing, etc. seems a bit extreme, and Meneer is probably correct with getting a simple dial up connection to be at least able to dl the defs.

The only catch there is of course, soon the little darlings :) will want to surf the net on their own computer, and then you need a few more various apps to protect you even further from Browser Hijackers, malware, spyware, etc. :( and you will most definitely then need to install, configure and run a Firewall, plus get ALL the critical updates from Microsoft, even if you don't let them surf..... phew... :D

You will have to weigh up the options in this. Best of luck. :)

Cheers, TAS

5. dober

dober Guest

you've got me.This is the real catch. they say to me either a connection speed like what is in the library (2Gb/sec) or NO! NO! NO!
    at the moment I can't afford 70€/month. my search has found "Avast 4 home" free and they have a downloadable updates on their site as well. don't know how good it is but going to give it a go

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

The best AV i have found that can update through downloadable updates is norton AV.

I used to use it myself and i did not have a internet connection at home so once a fortnight i downloaded the definitions to a couple of floppies (i used power archivers zip disk spanning to do it) then took it home and uploaded the new definitions.

From the few AV i have tried the easiest to update in this method has to be norton.

I dont use norton no more though as i got an internet connection so i dont need to worry about that so i got the best AV on the market (mcafee virus scan enterprise 8i). This one is fantastic at stopping nasties, much better than norton.

But the only problem with norton is it isnt free, but i am sure you can get an older version, (such as 2002 or 2003) very cheap, (ive personally saw 2003 being sold for £5 in my computer shops bargin bin. If you update the definitions i dont think there would be too much difference between using the older version and paying £40 for the 2004 version.

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It seems to me the local library could do with the anti virus to scan all returns before they hand them out , and to check there own systems each day

8. trance

trance Guest

I recommend AVG Free Edition from grisoft.com . It has a very small footprint and is easy on computer resources. Updates are incremental and are small files easy to implement manually. Since you do not need automatic updates you can safely disable control center application from starting at the startup and by this way the av will not disclose itself until a virus is detected. attention windows are big and even children can understand what is going on. They are like "VIRUS FOUND!!" (in big and red fonts).

hope it helps.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would really recomend mcafee version 7.0 you can get downloads of def files and copy to disc then install on your home comp. In my opinion it is one of the best.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.