Look&Stop or Outpost ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by controler, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

For the first time in my life I have been forced to buy a firewall LOL

Since none think I can beta test anymore.

I am trying to decide between Look & Stop and Outpost Pro

Any suggestions and why?

Bruce

2. root

root Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Outpost Pro is probably the more sophisticated product, but that can be both good and bad, depending upon what you're looking for in features and performance.. Both are popular though...

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

buy both ....you would get bored. or really be brave and fly naked.

I chose look n stop because its lite and easy and with enhanced ruleset its a breeze to secure ...

5. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

'Outpost Pro'
    Both Are Nice Products
    But..........Oh Heck Go With Outpost!!;)

6. Diver

Diver Guest

Outpost is a resource hog. LnS is a product of a one man company, but very light on resources. What is wrong with everything else?

By the way, Jetico is out of beta (or so they say). I have it running without problems.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Help me out on the resource hog part. I have heard this before. Keep in mind I would replace ZAP 5.1, or Norton 2004 PFW (depending on which machine I put it on) is it any worse? :doubt:

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Outpost Pro 2.5.370.370 used quite a bit of ram when I used it... 32 megs. It was light on CPU usage though. It does seem a little bloated with all the pluggins and so on. I prefer Jetico myself...

9. controler

controler Guest

SPC ? fly neked? get bored? you know me well LOL

Yes I have pretty much used them all from day one.

At present I have Look and Stop trial with enhanced ruleset.
    I have always been foud of Outpost also. It does have a lot of bells and whistles which I don't need. GhostSurf seems to take care of most of the popups and stuff.

I do like the fact both have no yearly update fees.

Oh decisions decisions

o_O

Ok here is my decision.....

I will buy both. One for my laptop and one for my Desktop.

I just wished there were more like Bo-Clean. They allow you to install on a laptop and desktop, like the good ole days. Back then they figured They were concidered one, since you used both for work. You used the desktop at work and brought the laptop home with your work on it. Oh well, guess them days are almost all gone now

:(

Bruce

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Funny... the About dialog says it's still a beta version... :D

11. Diver

Diver Guest

Well, I did make the parenthetical stavement "(or so they say)".

I would have to opine that performance wise Jetico PF is not yet out of beta. Expect fairly frequent updates. When they finally get it right, they will start to charge for it, same as they did with BCwipe.

12. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

The best firewall ? It's the one YOU feel the most comfortable with.

13. Unity

Unity Registered Member

That's why i use Outpost.
    I don't really care if it's the better firewall on the market or the second one.

I've tried them all , it's the best way to find the one that suits you need.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I asked them about the About menu saying "beta" and they said it was a mistake that they would correct. They also mentioned that it was officially out of beta, and that they would concentrate on adding new features that people want in future versions. I sure hope they get some of the problems worked out that some people are having with it.

15. Diver

Diver Guest

To Kerodo:

i hope you told them to take a look over here in the forum. this seems to have become the unofficial Jetico FW forum.

Hmmm... I wonder if there is some kind of way that I could have fixed the Java aplet problem.

The other thing that I wonder about is if the sandboxing is really appropriate in a firewall. Then again, ZA seems to have everything but the kitchen sink in it.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Have you tried Tiny Firewall? It's massive sandboxing. I'm running it right now. Tiny 6.0. It's interesting and I'm having some fun just figuring it all out. I guess it depends what you want in a firewall.. you can get a firewall without any of that if you use something like CHX-I, just a basic packet filter with good stateful inspection. No app control even.

I like to try them all.. I save configs for most of them so I can change from one to the other with minimum hassle.

17. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

For me Outpost Pro was the easier of the 2 to understand and create rules for.

19. trevor12

trevor12 Registered Member

I tried many of fw´s including LnS and outpost

Conclusion:

LnS is two men show (Frederic and Phantom) - in my opinion is good for somebody who don´t need set rules for concrete program (like p2p for ex. dc++ in active mod), and only need:

1) import Phantom´s rules set or enhanced default rule set

2) and go

----
    Outpost 2.5 is best for me. Amazing forum with best advices for configuration (see for ex. user Paranoid2000 threads), abbilities to exactly set rules for any program with best help on its website especially on its forum.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Why does a firewall need updating? If it blocks or stealths all ports, what else is it supposed to do?

I have been using Kerio 2.1.5 for years and never knew that I needed to change anything.
    I am considering using it on my new computer, but am leaning toward LnS.
    Help?

Jerry

21. controler

controler Guest

Hi JerryM

I guess if Kerio 2.1.5 stops exploits found at gkweb's site, I wouldn't think you would need to update it ;)
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/

try it out and let us know please?

Bruce

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It failed as many as it passed. So it is going to be LnS or OP for me.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.