Look "n" Stop 2.06?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Mongol, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

A couple weeks back I remember reading about a "soon to be" update to 2.06?. Any general idea when and if this is in the works?...:cool:

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The pre-beta version is under tests.
    The beta version should be available in less than one month.

Frederic

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Excellant, I thought my foggy mind had read something about this. Thanks for the reply...:thumb: :cool:

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I somehow knew they would pull a NOD32 on us. We were told weeks ago that it would be "weeks" until 2.06 was released. Not here yet. Although I guess an entire lifetime could be thought of in terms of weeks.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Unless you’re a programmer and developer of selling security products, it is really difficult to imagine the pressure placed on them, it would be reckless for the developers of security products to make different changes and not review and re-review them first.

And sometimes unexpected things come from reviewing and re-reviewing, more adjustments, and more tests need to be performed, which is why we should expect the unexpected when in regards to security products upcoming release dates.

And giving Frederic’s history of beta releases, he’ll surely make sure that no stone is left unturned before releasing the new beta, thoroughness is his game even with his beta releases.

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You've got that right, a LnS Beta for me has always been like a final release...pretty much completely bug free...:thumb: :D

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Would it then be appropriate for the developers to contact us, say here, for instance, and let us know that they are encountering difficulties and that they release date they told us way back when will have to be pushed back? I see nothing wrong with that. Of course things come up that have to be dealt with. I assume they know that people are waiting.

I guess I just get annoyed at the lack of communication (often times) between the developers and the end-user, especially regarding the status of a new version. Like NOD32, no one knows what the hell is going on with v3 because ESET tells us nothing. Same thing here, lately.

8. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

I can see your point, but for me, there is no hurry. I've got a solid product that works well and thats all I want: something hassle free thats doing its job, no matter what version it is.

9. Phant0m

Hi n8chavez

If you can recall it was I who brought awareness over the forum about the v2.06 release date ‘in a few weeks, sometime in 2007’, you would not have to go very far to see this post of mine, just posted December 26th - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=910208&postcount=28.

Also ‘few’ doesn’t mean exactly within 3 or even 5 weeks, few - definition is; amounting to or consisting of a small number’. Now I can understand the impatient, Look ‘n’ Stop has this affect on many of us, and being of a security product, makes it all that more understandable.

You know if Look ‘n’ Stop is behaving poorly you can contact Frederic and he’ll send out a patched version ASAP, just because a new release is on its way doesn’t mean things has to come to an complete pause until afterwards, this isn’t how Frederic works…

Now if you look at this topic original post, you’ll see the inquiry of the v2.06 release date, you should also see just below Frederic’s quick response which is providing this user with the details regarding v2.06 release-date. And now you can be well assured if it goes beyond one month, Frederic will surely give us an update on the forum because this is how Frederic always have worked in the past…

10. Laszlo

Laszlo Registered Member

I am a current user of Zone Alarm Pro, in search of a replacement. Is there an advantage to waiting for the new version before buying a copy of LNS?

11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Nope, updates are free with Look N Stop except for major updates like to Version 3 or 4. That's likely a long way off...:eek: :D

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

No there is no advantage.
    You install the 2.05p3 yet (there is sticky post on this forum) and verify it is working (you have 30 days).

If ZA was installed before, be sure it is properly uninstalled before installing Look 'n' Stop, since there are known issues that could prevent Look 'n' Stop installing properly if some ZA components are still there. On ZA site there is normally some manual steps to uninstall/verify everything is gone. You should use it.

Regards,

Frederic

13. focus

focus Registered Member

Will there be a new "Phant0m ruleset" for the Vista release of LnS?

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, focus

Welcome to Wilders Forums

Best to ask Phant0m over on his own forum here:- MntOlympus Forums

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

15. Laszlo

Laszlo Registered Member

Thank you Frederic. I decided on a clean Windows installation for a fresh start with Look'n Stop, which was at the root of my question.

16. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

To keep both forum in synch, and to answer some posts above ;)

The beta version 2.06b1 is still under tests and final adjustements, mainly to support the official version of Vista.

The 2.06b1 should be available in less than two weeks, if everything goes well.

Regards,

Frederic

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Great News, can't wait to test that out!

dja2k

18. xhris

xhris Registered Member

19. danieleb

20. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

21. Phant0m

A good HIPS in this case is highly recommended, something like SSM free to compliment the Look ‘n’ Stop product… :cool:

22. danieleb

Yes, and if the user finds such products (classic HIPS) to hard to use, there are sandbox programs that restrict programs permissions, and programs that provide internet facing applications with a virtual environment: Sandboxie (personal preference, also very "light", just like L'n'S.), Defense Wall, GesWall, BufferZone...

Sorry if OT! :gack: ...I will stop now...

23. xhris

xhris Registered Member

Exactly, leak tests :], just asking from curiosity, anyway I will still use look n stop its the best solution ever, lightweight and much configurable ;]

24. danieleb

OK. :)

Oh, and by the way: welcome to the forum xhris!
    If this leak testing business should be a concern to you in the future, I would suggest following Phant0m's advice (and as you can see in other posts here at Wilders, even those who use other fw products that gained a higher score against these gimmicks also use HIPS and such).

25. xhris

xhris Registered Member

sorry mate I'm not really familiar with security stuff, what is HIPS? Didnt understand Phant0m's reply, I use his rules its great stuff :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.