Look 'N' Stop 2.05 and beyond

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Khaine, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I'm looking at replacing Kerio 2.15 with Look 'N' Stop, in the future espically with the direction that Kerio 4.x is heading, and I was wondering if Look 'N' Stop intended to expand the application control in future versions ?

Also what is the licence agreement for Look 'N' Stop like ?

Thanks Khaine

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Khaine

;)

3. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks Phantom :)

Do you know how well Look 'N' Stop deals with wireless networks. As I will be going from one to another and really need a flexable, yet highly configureable firewall.

4. Barney

Barney Registered Member

KHAINE, I have tried both of these firewalls and I have to say that I am more impressed with Kerio 2.15. It is a tighter firewall and gives better protection in my opinion. I find the rule creating MUCH easier to do and it is layed out much more organized than LNS. Creating rules for LNS is flat out confusing and quirky. The only advantage Look n Stop has over Kerio is its application filtering (a little more complex and effective). But with Kerio running, if a trojan program were present, I have an excellent Trojan Detector (BOClean) to take care of that. Look N Stop is very good, but Kerio is better. ;) By the way, Kerio is free.

Barney

5. Phant0m

I find in most cases when people exploring different products, they Install and quickly Uninstall if something looks slightly complex to them, rather than making any efforts into keeping it around long enough to comprehend the In and Outs of the product before basing an judgement. Therefore anytime I see someone stating something else is better I cant help but to believe they only making assumptions, and this is exactly what I see from you Barney. And you are definitely not qualified in Firewalls or Security in general, so your absurd posts don’t register up to me one bit. If you knew even slightest about Firewalls and Security in general you know Look ‘n’ Stop uses accurate notions unlike most of today’s Software Firewalls, and thus is why Look ‘n’ Stop appears “confusing and quirky”. ;)

Hey Khaine

I’ve not really seen any problems corresponding with wireless networks, if I do see any I’ll PM to keep you up-to-date. If I’m not mistaking I think I saw a topic here earlier in reference to this subject. :)

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont want to take sides here...but as a novice i find the present look n stop very hard to create rules too ,possibly because it has more depth (maybe more than the average user need to have?) than other firewalls.The "equal" and "different" offset and fragments are really confusing to me and i would suspect most users , that are used to maybe simpler terms or configuration.That said i havent uninstalled as im pretty much confident that the preset enhanced rules are doing a good job.I also use outpost and much prefer thier rule presets and rule configuration , but i dont believe that outpost has the stability and small footprint that look n stop has on my system at present.I have also tried tiny/kerio/sygate (shame about the loopback problem)/zonealarm and (with the exception of zonealarm which i find it very hard to like), they all seem to be decent enough firewalls .I do hope that any new version of look n stop ( and please dont completley forget w98 users when it comes to enhancments as XP isnt that much of a step forward in my opinion), will have rule settings that maybe novices could configure easily too.
    ellison

7. Phant0m

Hey ellison64

You can build something simple as possible with basic wording and host it and you’ll still see many folks confused and asking questions. And from many vendors efforts I notice improper notions being applied simply to make it newbie friendly, and to me I don’t think that’s appropriate. I only got as far as grade 10, and to be honest I never had any problems understanding Look ‘n’ Stop notions from the very beginning. In-fact one of many reasons I choose Look ‘n’ Stop is because it has incredibly strong Packet Filtering Layer, all these additional features that I believe is crucial in a packet filtering layer. Don’t mind me being bold, anyone who doesn’t understand functionality of something and not make any efforts to seek Information should stop crying and attempt to turn a good thing into a bad thing.

Anyways, ellison64 see if below is easily comprehendible.

ALL = IP Address or TCP/UDP ports (0-65535)
    Equals = Matches Entered IP Address or TCP/UDP port
    Doesn't Equal = If it doesn’t match Entered IP Address or TCP/UDP port

Also Frag Flags, Offset Info can be found on http://www.wilderssecurity.info/Frags.shtml.

Enjoy! ;)

8. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Oh boy, the almighty Phant0m speaks, so lets all bow down and listen.
    Phant0m, your not always going to hear opinions that coincide with yours. If I find Kerio better than Look n Stop, why can't you just accept that and move on rather than insult a person who states their own opinion. You have obviously knighted yourself as master of all the security and Firewall subject matter on this forum. If you don't like what I say, attack my opinion and give me yours, rather than attacking my knowledge.
    By the way, I never once said that LNS isn't a good Firewall. It is a good Firewall, I just find Kerio easier to use and more fortified......IN MY OPINION. is that ok if I state my opinion please.
    A forum isn't just a place where the "Big know it all's" do all the talking and everybody else just stands there with their mouths hanging open in awe. This is a place where everybody can share their own opinion and give their own feedback on different topics.

Barney.

9. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks phantom for the info :)

The reason I am looking / will be trying / Look 'n' stop is simply because of the future releases of Kerio. Version 4 seems to be a complete and utter reversal of all that 2.1x succeded in achieving. I am well aware that Look 'n' Stop may be harder to configure than other firewalls, like ZA, but that is exactly why I am looking at it. It gives the user unparelleled control over how the computer should respond.

I remember when I was using atguard, ages ago, a member of the atguard forum (now closed :( ) called pilgrim was heavily involved in the beta testing of look 'n' stop. He really liked it and saw potential in its future. However soon after that kerio was released and it was very similar in configuration to atguard and so most people switched to it. But with Kerio becoming more like Zone Alarm (not that thats a bad thing) its about time I tried look 'n' stop.

10. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Except for special circumctances such as p2p programs ( which in my opinion should not be used in the first place), very few people will need to make any kind of rules with LNS and the enhanced ruleset.

With that, you can go to any test site anf come out of it with flying colors.

11. LOL

LOL Guest

LOL

Im just ready for the 2.05--i think its like the train trying to get over the hill---i think i can,i think i can---sorry,just tierd of waiting for the new upgrade.

I think phantom does a great job--ive followed his post here, dslreports and other sites for long while.

I think he is outspoken from time to time------

But then again--who isnt.

12. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

No need to.
    But Phantom does know firewalls and LNS in particular.
    After all, his tiltle is:
    Phant0m``Look 'n' Stop Tech Support

13. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I as a budding programmer understand that it takes time to improve and implement features correctly. I would prefer they take longer and release a high quality product than release a buggy and flawed product

14. ellison64

Phantom ...how do i set this rule up in look n stop?.

Where Protocol is=TCP
    Where Direction is=outbound
    Where Remote host is=www.naviscope.com (216.157.91.36)
    Where Remote port is=Http
    Deny or forbid it

Its always been simple in other firewalls to do however i get completley lost trying to put that rule in with look n stop.Maybe if i could see how that rule fits in (maybe a pic?) then id have a btter idea
    tia
    ellison

15. Phant0m

Hey ellison64

Congratulations! Now you are on right track…

I’ve wrote up a little Guide called “What? Where? v1.1”, you can download it from the official Look ‘n’ Stop server. Look_'n'_Stop.chm. ;)

16. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

barney,

Keep in mind you are in the Look'n'Stop Support Forum; in case you want to discuss other firewalls this isn't the place. Öther Firewalls" is.

regards.

paul

17. Barney

Barney Registered Member

No Problem Paul, I will definately keep that in mind.
    Phant0m needs to keep somthing in mind also. Had he said to me what you said, I would have said sorry and went my own way to the "Other Firewalls" forum. Instead, he acts like a complete childish idiot. It's pretty bad when you worship somone so bad, you let him get away with saying and doing ANYTHING he wants. Everybody "puckers" up to him and says "Oh...thats just Phant0m....he's so silly, he just gets a little outspoken from time to time". Using a little more tact goes a long way. Have a good day everybody.

Barney

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Barney,

Thanks.

Now, please let's move on with life as usual without bickering; it's alright to agree to disagree ;)

regards.

paul

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo. I find LnS confusing too but all I know is that with the enhanced ruleset I am always testing completely stealth no matter where I go, so I don't mess with it. If it ain't broken ...

Acadia

20. ellison64

phantom....
    thanks for the link ..theres an example http rule shown to block look n stop site (i just changed to the naviscope site) , and it works a treat
    thanks again
    ellison

21. Phant0m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.