Look and Stop with Ximeta Netdisk

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dude the obscure, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dude the obscure

dude the obscure Registered Member

The Ximeta Netdisk is an external Hard Disk Drive (HDD) that connects directly to a LAN and is "visible" on each networked PC running the Netdisk server/administrator software. LooknStop works great but it blocks access to the Netdisk with any configuration I've yet tried except for removal of the final blocking rule. Does anyone know how to successfully configure this networked drive?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey dude the obscure

At anytime the “Block : All other packets” rule shouldn't be removed or even disabled, what you want todo is make rule to authorize LAN Machines via MAC Addresses, use Look ‘n’ Stop MAC Addy Feature in Look ‘n’ Stop “Rule Editing” Dialog. ;)

Any further difficulties feel free to contact me via E-mail.

3. dude the obscure

Thanks for your interest. I understand that we don't want to remove the “Block : All other packets” rule, making LooknStop useless as a firewall. Adding the Netdisk via its MAC address makes sense, but I have no idea what it is. According to Tech Support, "Please note that the protocol that NetDisk uses is dynamic and no network settings are available."

Now what.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

What is circled in Red is your Ethernet Card MAC Address, or it will be when you make modifications. ;P

What is circled in Black is your other Computers MAC Address, or it will be when you make modifications. ;P

For every computer on your LAN you make a rule like above with its MAC Address specifications, and every machine on your LAN that is running Look ‘n’ Stop you must do the same thing on them as you doing on the current one.

Attached Files:

5. dude the obscure

I see how to set up the rule, but I think there's a misunderstanding. The host PC's network card MAC address is easy to find. But the Netdisk device seems to have no fixed MAC address (they say it's "dynamic"), or at least I don't know how to find it out. Am I missing something?

6. dude the obscure

I was able to obtain the Netdisk's MAC address from Ximeta. I then added a PC>>Internet rule, setting the destination ethernet address equal to the Netdisk MAC address, and another rule (Internet>>PC), setting the source ethernet address to the Netdisk MAC, leaving all other rule settings at their defaults. Voila!

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.