Longevity of databases in Password Safe or KeePass

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Andz, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I am thinking of using Password Safe or KeePass to remember all of my passwords. However I am concerned that I may be "locking" myself into a data format which one day will become unusable. For example, what if the software one day becomes discontinued? Should I continue to use my less secure pen-and-paper solution just because I know it is reliable?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

3. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

KeePass resides on your system - it is not a cloud application. In the event that the program stopped being developed, it will continue to work on your system forever.

As innerpeace has noted, your KeePass database can be exported to other file formats, and opened by other applications. For example, you can export your KeePass database to .CSV or .XML format, and then view your data using Microsoft Excel (maybe OpenOffice too) in the CSV format, or a web browser in the XML format.

Suggestion: Export the database to a .CSV (or .XML) file from within KeePass, encrypt the file, and save it for the rainy day you are concerned about. The only weakness in this approach is if KeePass and/or MS Excel and/or your encryption application have disappeared when that rainy day arrives! :'(

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.