Long time to create image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JesperDK, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesperDK

JesperDK Guest

Hi there...

I was thinking of changing from Norton Ghost (can't get the latest version to work proberly) to Acronis, so I downloaded the trial version of the server-edition for windows. No problem so far.
    When I have picked my C-drive to be backed up, it says it will take 11 hours (approx. 4GB). After 3 hours it suddenly has 12 hours left. This happens on all of my 3 computers. I am backing up on my D-drive which has plenty of room to spare (so does my C-drive).
    Is this a limitation on the trial-versions or have I forgotten something?

Thanks in advance

Jesper
    Denmark

2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

It should not take anywhere near that long. I have a fast computer (3.6GHz with two 10,000RPM Raptor drives) and it takes around 6 minutes to make an image and restore one. On a slower computer a typical time would be 20 to 30 minutes. However if you are creating the image to a USB drive and it is not USB 2 it would take a lot longer (possibly the sort of time you are reporting). Even a USB 2 drive would take longer than the times I quoted above but even so it should not take 12 hours. I've had what you describe happen to me as well and after rebooting and trying Acronis again the problem was solved. If this doesn't work try reinstalling Acronis.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jesper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please boot from Acronis Bootable Media (CD or Floppy Disk Drive), then try to create the image and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. ianC

ianC Registered Member

Just for info, I have a medium system 1.5GHz P4, and if I back up my system partition (12GB used) to another partition on the same (IDE) disk it takes an hour or so. This is using high compression (not max, one below that). If I try that to my USB1 external disk it takes 4 hours or so. The USB1 really slugs it - even incremental backups to the USB drive take 3 minutes (I guess it's reading & writing the USB - slugged on both counts).

(Yes I have tried fitting a USB2 card but had problems and haven't resolved them yet)

Ian

5. JesperDK

JesperDK Guest

Hi

Just an update on the problem... I left it overnight just to see what would happen and this morning it had left me an error message telling me that I either had "programs active on the disk or the disk is corrupt" (roughly quoted). It also left 41.624 files of 3kb each :)
    I got Error 33 followed by Information 33, Error 502 and Error 5 (if you can use that for anything Irina).
    It is one harddrive split into C and D so no USB here.
    But thanks for the advice Irina, I will try that later today when I have the time and get back to you.

Thank you all for your input

Jesper
    Denmark

System Specs:
    P4 1.5 GHz
    256MB Ram
    20GB HD (~10 for each drive)

6. JesperDK

JesperDK Guest

Well....
    I booted from the Acronis Boot Disk and all looked well, only problem: The trial version wont let me proceed with the last step and actually let me create the image :( :(

So now I am not quite sure what to do...

Jesper
    Denmark

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jesper,

Could you please try the following workaround:
    1. Open "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management";
    2. Wait till your partition layout is shown and then close the "Disk Management" screen;
    3. Launch Acronis True Image and create image once again (under Windows).

If the problem persists please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will try to help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hej selv!
    That is way, way too long for a 10 GB backup.
    All 3 o_O Identical hardware, or?
    What do you see if you
    1. Press the Windows Key + Pause/Break (or right-click My Computer -> Properties)
    2. Hardware tab.
    3. Device Manager button.
    4. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    5. Right-click a channel -> Properties.
    6. Advanced tab.
    7. Current access mode = ?
    PIO mode? DMA? UDMA?
    Nope - expect for the ability to restore the system partition, the trial works just like a registred version.
    Du er velkommen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.