Long Startup Time with Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by ErnstB, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

The start of the PC with installed "Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0", Build 712 (same with 714), takes app. 5 to 10 minutes (app. 1 minute without installed Privacy Expert Suite).
    The system startup of Windows XP runs normal until the user login screen. After login it lasts about 5 to 10 minutes, since you can use the PC. At first I see just a few (about 5) icons on the desktop. App. every minute one more icon is shown. After 5 - 10 minutes all the other icons appear and the system startup finishes in a normal way. A reboot within 2 to 3 hours starts the PC in the normal 1 minute. But after a few hours in off state, the boot process lasts again 5 - 10 minutes.

After De-Installation of the Expert Suite, the PC starts up in a normal way.

I think there are some interferences with the virus scan and firewall software. I use "PC Cillin Internet Security 12". The tweaking, that the acronis directory should not be scanned gave no improvements.

My PC configuration:
    AMD Athlon System (Athlon XP 1800+),
    Asus-Mainboard (A7V133),
    512 MB SD-RAM,
    2x 120GB Hitachi Hard Disks,
    Network, ...

SW-Konfiguration:
    Windows XP Prof., SP2 (German) - all Patches applied, MS Office 2003, CorelDraw 12, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX2004 and Freehand MX, OO-Defrag 6.5, Nero 6.6,
    PC-cillin Internet Security 12,
    Acronis TrueImage 8.0, Disk Director Suite 9.0 (OS-Selector installed) and Privacy Expert Suite 8.0.

Version 7 of the Privacy Suite (English version) ran fine without these problems. Already the first version of the 8.0 encountered the problems. Up to Build 714 there is no change in this behaviour.
    In the moment I haven't installed the Privacy Suite, since it is not usable for me.

Maybe the problem is related with the thread of the interferences of Privacy Suite and PC-Cillin, but I didn't find this startup problems described so far (the crashes described in the PC-Cillin thread are also familiar to me).

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ErnstB,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Privacy Expert Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/privacyexpert/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please try to install Acronis Privacy Expert 8.0 and temporary uninstall your antivirus software, firewall and defragmenting software (please unplug network cable before you uninstall either of the applications and make sure you have only trusted applications running). After uninstallation of each of the applications please reboot the computer and see whether the problem persists. Also please diable Spyware Shield in Acronis Privacy Expert 8.0

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

In the meanwhile I did some investigations in the problem.

1st:
    I started from a fresh installed windows, then installed OO-Defrag, Privacy Expert Suite and last PC-Cillin Internet Security 12 (no other applications). The startup time is o.k. (even a day after the installation, but I will see whether things change after a few days)

2nd:
    I created a new user in my current windows installation. The first startup was in normal time (I will watch the next days, if delays will occur).
    Then I logged off and logged on again with my regular account - and it took about 5 minutes until I was able to work. So it seems, it has to do something with the processes started after my login.

I will deeper investigate both ways the next days and report the result to you.

Ernst

4. Acronis Support

Hello Ernst,

Could you please clarify whether it takes 5 minutes to change the account or to boot Windows as well?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

The Delay is everytime in the login process. The boot process until the login window always is o.k.

After logout from one account and login to another account the 5 minutes delay happens. Also sometimes the delays are there with the first login after the boot up. With the latest version things went a little bit better. I encounter the 5 minutes delay now only once or twice a week. With bulid 712 and 714 the delay was normally at the first boot of a day.
    If I switch of the computer in the delay phase and switch it on again, the second boot process is o.k.
    So I think, there are some interferences with the startup of another software package. When the delay happens, its very early in the user login phase (must be one the first user processes, which are started). Since I'm connected to the internet via a router some programs are searching for updates in the early login phase (Windows, PC-Cillin Internet Security and maybe some others), there might be a hint, that it only happens in the first boot up after a while.

6. Acronis Support

Hello ErnstB,

Could you please download the latest (734) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem persists please try to uninstall Acronis Privacy Expert Suite and see whether you encounter the same problem again. If not please install Acronis Privacy Expert but disable Spyware Shield. Also please let us know whether the problem persists if you disconnect your network cable and boot the computer after that?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

In the moment I already use Build 734. This build brought some positive changes. I encounter the login delays only once or twice a week, but they are still present.

I can work in normal way most of the time. If things won't go worse again, I can use the software. Maybe the registry of my system has some bad entries, maybe there are conflicting dll-Libraries. If problems get worse agian, I will post a new message.

Ernst

8. Acronis Support

Hello Ernst,

The best way would be to send the description of the problem to support@acronis.com indicating that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. Please include the link to this thread in the letter. I will contact our Development Team in connection with this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.