long file path name

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nuser, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuser

nuser Registered Member

Hi, Frederic,
    just found some strange behaviour of the application filter tab (attached snap):
    the first 3 applications are all located in the same folder.
    However, application path in the 1st entry (apache.exe) has been transferred into 8.3 format. While the 2nd and 3rd remain the long names.:doubt:
    I even deleted the 1st entry and added manually the full path of apache.exe. But after rebooting, Look'n'Stop still prompted a message of apache.exe in the 8.3 path format.

btw: same thing happens in the dll filter. (the 2nd snapshot).

regards
    nuser

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi nuser,

This is a known behaviour with Look 'n' Stop.
    It depends on the way the application has been started. Usually when a program is started through explorer.exe, the name will be the full one. But sometimes, when started by some other program (depending on how the do that) this DOS name can be detected.

This is normally not an issue, Look 'n' Stop is detecting anyway the right application.
    Sometimes you get both names in the list, but again this is not a real problem.

Regards,

Frederic

3. nuser

nuser Registered Member

Hi, Frederic,
    Thanks a lot for your clarification:)
    dll files should be always started by applications, but not explorer.exe. So, what's the reason of the co-existence of long and DOS path names of dll filter?

Best regards
    nuser

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi nuser,

Yes, I agree this is a bit strange for DLL.
    But anyway, the driver gets the name like this in Windows internals (I mean: it is not the lookstop driver creating that special name) so I guess there is a way to load a DLL which gives this result.
    Normally it is not a problem, as far as few DLLs are concerned.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.