LogMeIn remote maintenance - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by guest, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Hi Joe/PrevxHelp,

I am just curious - what exactly would you typically do when logging in into a system of a Prevx customer to find evidence or reasons for incompatibilities, crashes etc. regarding RC builds? Just watching them happening as you would sitting in front of my desktop (my view, want some popcorn? :D)? Or do you need to start diagnostic software in the background? And is the customer always in control or at least able to see what you are doing? :doubt:

I am asking this because maybe there's no need for security paranoia :D (guilty as charged *LOL*) if you explain a little bit what you intend to do (and what not)? ;)

Yes, I am familiar with such software (knowing Teamviewer from helping relatives all the time, it's fun being the active part :D ) but what I don't know is, how exactly you want to solve the problems through this method? Maybe you could elaborate on that and gain some trust? :cool:

No, I cannot promise in advance that I will allow you on my computer, that really depends of the feeling I have :gack: :D , but maybe other people would if they'd know what's going on? ;)

On the other hand you know already all about my system (because of myprevx), yeah .. right! :D - So let me put it this way:

If remote maintenance really is the only way for you to solve those problems I experienced with RC (and for example Babylon) I would of course be willing and glad to help this way as last resort so to speak. ;)

You just have to convince me! :D

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hi guest :)

LogMeIn is similar to TeamViewer - we can't do anything without you seeing and it operates like a remote desktop (we move the mouse and type on the keyboard - which is indeed fun when people bring their wives over to see what's happening :D).

My intent would be run some tests on Prevx and possibly send over some debug builds to get more output/information on the issues you're having, and in most cases, the debug build requires some "hand holding" to test through each piece in realtime (and looking at it remotely saves massive amounts of effort on both of our ends).

We have done remote diagnosis on a number of users here and it really is, by far, the best way to get a handle on and fix issues within the product. I know it looks like breach of security but we honestly are just trying to solve the product issues.

The process works as follows: I send you a link which downloads the LogMeIn software. After you run the software, it will connect to me and ask you if you want to proceed with the remote support. After clicking Yes (random problems aside), I should be able to access your screen. Everything that I'd be doing is clearly visible - LogMeIn sets itself apart from many other services by not allowing background executions or downloads of files without user knowledge. LogMeIn's transmissions are encrypted and as soon as you close the remote support applet, it deletes itself and I have no way of getting back (unless I send over a new link and you follow the process again).

We started using LogMeIn for remote malware assistance (Prevx guarantees full malware cleanup so if something fails, we will first try and fix it in our database and if we cannot, we offer the user remote assistance to correct the problem) but have since moved to product support with it as well just because it is such a valuable tool.

I'm available for the next ~16 hours today or any time tomorrow/the rest of the week/the weekend so let me know if you're interested :) I'm sure it would be very valuable to your usability and that of many other users.

Let me know if you have any questions with it!

3. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Without LogMeIn we would still be running Prevx 3.0.1 Beta or even Prevx CSI/Edge.

If i ever had an issue with Prevx and was pretty sure it was not an error on my machines, i made some extra coffee for Joe :D and asked him to check it out on one of my machines.

This way a lot of bugs are solved and that results in a new version of Prevx.

Me happy (now i'm really sure it wasn't an error in my machine), Joe happy and all other Prevx users happy :argh:

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

And to note that Prevx invested money for this kind of service to their customers. :thumb: Did you guys check out the pricing? :eek:

5. guest

guest Guest

Well ... what an *amazing* experience I had the last 8 hours watching Joe trying to fix what I should deliberately damage. :D - In the end I had to give up, couldn't crash the RC 3.0.4.202 anymore. :D - I mean without using the context scan! - Rematch? *gg*

I am sure you missed him here at Wilders very much today, but we had a private session (Sarah, Joe and me :) ) and we can only recommend doing the LogMeIn thing with him! :D -> True wizard @ work, faster than light and multitasking at it's best!!! UN.BE.LIE.VA.BLE! :)

And you were right, the guy NEVER sleeps! :eek: ... I am too excited to sleep anyway ... might also hunt for the next bug! *grin*

My recommendation: If you find a Prevx bug don't hesitate and let Joe LogHimselfIn. :cool: :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Glad you had a good experience with it Mat. I use a similar program to log into my mother's computer to fix her problems and it is a true time saver. I can imagine your experience watching Joe at work. The man is a true computer guru.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for sharing with us how you've done an about-face as far as allowing remote access. We can see that it took a lot for you to trust the access software and the person using it, and I can assure you that you are not the only individual to have those concerns. Congratulations on making a good and important decision that helps us all (Prevx users). :thumb:

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I think the person who really deserves the credit here is guest who gave up 8 hours of his time to help diagnose these problems :) I think Prevx is in a much more stable position now thanks to his efforts :thumb: :thumb:

9. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I could have fixed it in 4 hrs........:p JK.

I agree with you PH. Thanks for taking the leap of faith and the time guest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.