Locked !!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by SimonW, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

For some reason ProcessGuard has locked itself :( (only myself as single user, last dialog asked whether wmiprvse should run, which not knowing what it was I answered No).

Tried blank and space passwords to no avail...

So, following previous advice, I rebooted to safe mode and deleted the pguard.dat file from system32. Of course, now I've lost all my program settings.

Is there any way to force the wizard that runs on first install to re-run to add and configure the suggested system files ? Or a list of these processes for me to re-enter manually?

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Simon, I am in a tearing rush ATM, I have a quick search for a post made some time ago where Jason did explain how to do what you require. If you cannot find it hopefully Jason will respond in a few hours.

Pilli

3. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Decided to uninstall. Booted to safe mode - and ran the uninstall. Rebooted and re-installed ProcessGuard.

However, now at every startup if PG is enabled I get an error saying "Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close...". If I re-run the Messenger exe at this point it starts OK - but I wonder why it fails at startup.

Choosing StartMenu - Shutdown also takes a long time now (minutes) if PG is running.

Might uninstall again and have another stab at reinstalling...

4. linney

linney Registered Member

Let Process Guard have a bit of a run in Learning Mode for a few hours, and in the meantime launch a few of your more common programs and do a few reboots and logins.

5. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Still having a lot of problems with this.

Uninstalled again making sure all files removed from system32 and drivers, and now Messenger loads OK and PC fine.

Reinstalls (tried 4 times now) result in either:

a) Windows continually crashing to a reboot while services are being loaded after the login screen
    b) Machine appearing OK, but coming back after a period of inactivity to a plain grey screen with just a mouse cursor, and no way out other than a forced reboot (even though learning mode is on).

I'm wondering if my problems are being caused due to the many processes that run at startup - antivirus etc.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to disable all the various services so that at first reboot after an install everything is fairly straightforward. Isn't the point of learning mode is that everything is allowed?

(The fact that ProcessGuard locked is worrying me, the PC in question was a clean build of XP and up to the lock was running absolutely fine. I'd just installed Firefox and Opera to consider the alternatives to IE due to the recent warnings in realion to Download.Ject. Worked with them for a couple of hours then PG Lock!! )

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Process Guard doesn't seem to be able to handle the system crashing sometimes in certain conditions, hence when it does the pguard.dat file which is protected and stores vital information may be corrupted. We are looking for fixes for this corruption issue, and also why Process Guard is crashing on some machines but not others.

7. md411

md411 Registered Member

I had the same problem... process guard just locked itself for no apparent reason... I did just run task mgr before this happened ...

I did the uninstall of pghash.dat, pguard.dat and procguard.sys after using the uninstall option this program offered (not the add/delete xp home prog).. this was done in safe mode .. delete- reboot-reinstall process guard... again reboot and start up.. and my problem of process guard locked vanished...

According to adwatch , i have 43 processes running (tds3,tea timer, etc) and process guard seem to run OK ....I am running xp home, 256 ram, pentium 4 at 2.6 ghz

Uninstalled again making sure all files removed from system32 and drivers, and now Messenger loads OK and PC fine.

Reinstalls (tried 4 times now) result in either:

a) Windows continually crashing to a reboot while services are being loaded after the login screen
    b) Machine appearing OK, but coming back after a period of inactivity to a plain grey screen with just a mouse cursor, and no way out other than a forced reboot (even though learning mode is on).

I'm wondering if my problems are being caused due to the many processes that run at startup - antivirus etc.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to disable all the various services so that at first reboot after an install everything is fairly straightforward. Isn't the point of learning mode is that everything is allowed?

(The fact that ProcessGuard locked is worrying me, the PC in question was a clean build of XP and up to the lock was running absolutely fine. I'd just installed Firefox and Opera to consider the alternatives to IE due to the recent warnings in realion to Download.Ject. Worked with them for a couple of hours then PG Lock!! )[/QUOTE]

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi md411, From what you say apart startup processes, can I suggest that you do not autostart TDS3 but start it manually after boot up.

Jason, Will, as stated be looking into the other possible problems.

Thanks. Pilli

9. md411

md411 Registered Member

TDS3 doesn't auto start. I tend to have my computer stay log on for days at a time. Process Guard worked "ok" for about 3 months before it it "locked" itself.

My question is did I remove all the files for a "clean reinstall"? The other post I read only mentions deleting pguard.pghash, procguard. What about other files programs are known for notoriously leaving behind on a computer? Did the uninstall feature do a thorough job of removing files?

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

md411, Providing you are comfortable working in the registry - Try a registry search for procguard & process guard, delete all the entries, you will find that there are two "legacy" entries that you cannot delete - click on their properties and change the permissions to Allow.
    Apart from the ones you have already mentioned, you can also delete the dcsuserprot.exe and all the files in the Process Guard folder (if they exist after an uninstall) but please leave your keyfile for when you re-install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.