Locked out on reboot

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by xnij, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xnij

xnij Registered Member

I installed PG V.2, but was prompted for my password when I rebooted after initial configuration in learning mode. I thought perhaps I had caused this by changing all the 'allowed' permissions to none in the default configuration on the system executables. However, after rebooting in safe mode and cleaning PG V.2 out of my system, and reloading, the same thing happened. I read the forum and removed pguard.dat and pghash.dat from ...\system32\ In addition, I have removed the password from my administrators account and am about to reload and reboot PG V.2. I hope this works, to at least get me back into my computer, PG V.2 on. But even if it does, I would like to lock my administrator's account. So what should I do please? P.S.

2. quaduong

quaduong Guest

Are you sure that you have done uninstall PG from your box rather than just "cleaning" it from your hdd? Did you mean "cleaning" = "deleting"?
    *.dat of PG are database files holding info/setting on *.exe put on those list of PG.
    The driver is pxxx.sys. It is sure to uninstall PG successfully or completely removed the driver and its server of starting when windows booting up.
    Some experts will jump in to help you if what I put in here are wrong.

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You should never remove passwords from your user accounts, these are of course very important !

If ProcessGuard locked itself, there is a chance of disk corruption causing an error in one of the config files. We recommend you go to Safe Mode and remove the protection configuration file PGUARD.DAT and then reboot to normal mode. Now uninstall and reboot, and run a disk check (scandisk/chkdsk) and repair any errors

The new version will hopefully not suffer from these problems, we are working on that

4. xnij

xnij Registered Member

Dear Quadong, Gavin,

Thanks for your help. And a huge sigh of relief when I was able to reboot.

I deleted as suggested. However, I also 'removed' the program while in safe mode. That got me back into my computer. I have turned the password back on and it seems to be rebooting fine. I think I caused this problem by removing all 'allow' privileges on the default system executables, giving them 'none.' I did this, because it seemed to me that the default privileges in the following configuration on the default executables is a bit self-defeating, though, if I understand how the program works, they are a closed set, i.e., only programs will allow can do anything to programs with block, and any allowed program that is changed in any way will trigger Execution Protection. I guess the culprit in this case was winlogon.exe. But I would be interested to know whether users agree this is the optimal configuration for the default executables under PG V.2 on WinXP Professional, which I have currently as:

read,write,terminate,suspend,getinfo,setinfo

Many Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.