locked out of Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tm6527, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tm6527

tm6527 Registered Member

I had my motherboard changed because it fried. Afterwards, I wasted the permitted logs, and now I am locked out of Windows.

Question: How do I uninstall Windows XP if I am locked out?
    Question: Also, if I install windows XP will it resolve this issue?

I don't want to call m$ customer service and when I try to get the ID thing over the internet, the ID wizard, used to activate windows, does not find an internet connection when there is one. There is a connection and afterwards when I turned the computer off, windows XP, which is supposed to be not activated, downloaded five updates.

(anyways, it is weird that the Windows automatically downloads new updates without letting the user know what they're for.)

2. tm6527

tm6527 Registered Member

The reason I refuse to call again, is because I told them another computer has Windows XP. Maybe I shouldn't have told them, but I need that computer with Windows XP to transport some files to my newer, better computer. I don't have sufficient disks, so I don't want to remove windows XP until my newer computer is updated with everything my older computer has that my newer computer would have had if it hadn't fried.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

When you change motherboards, Windows needs a new hardware abstraction layer (HAL), which can only be done by reformatting. The better option would be to just move the old drive to the new computer as a secondary (slave) drive, then you could copy all the files over at your leisure and not have to worry about activation or legal issues. If you have a few bucks you could always get an external drive enclosure to put the drive in and keep it as an external back-up drive. You can get them cheap at NewEgg.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...description=hard drive enclosure&InnerCata=92

4. tm6527

tm6527 Registered Member

I'll get an inexpensive hard drive exlosure, and see if it works for me. I don't have a third computer so that other option is out, since M$ wants me to uninstall windows XP in my older computer. I guess they don't trust a guys word of honor, especially for an old computer that goes 1101mh(is that slow?). I guess its slow because when I play warcraft on it, everyone leaves the game because of lag. Also, if your hinting something, I don't see it, but I feel it is a possibility, especially if I knew more. But you sold me one of those HDEs, which seems cool, especially if your a spy or FBI agent and want to copy stuff from unsuspecting people. Since I am not in that profession, I guess I extract from the old and move to the new, and Deactive the old and active the new. Once activated, the HDE is tapped in to. :)

I just hope there is suffficent space in that HDE for 40GBs, since I don't think the device is smart enough to know what I want to keep.

Anyways Notok,
    An idea occured to me as I read your post. I don't know too much
    about computers, and the information you introduced to me is new.
    What I realised is that this forum can be seen as a learning center, and not just a service, like a car mechanic that one has no idea what they do to fix the car and opportunity to learn. I'll try to visit more threads now and see for how long this will workout for me. I guess if I were a teacher, I would recommend my students to visit one of these web sites and to bring forth what they learned.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.