Lock PC during Boot. ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pinso, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello,
    can anyone suggest me some PC locking software. I heard about a program able to lock a pc during a bootup, and it would require a pendrive to start the pc. It is not a freeware, i had read about here in Wildersecurity few years back, then i didn't find it important. Their are tonns of those that can lock from withing the pc, when left idle, not that.
    I want that particular one where a user is required to insert a pendrive and provide a password i guess. Can someone help me out.
    Googling is just a waste of time.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

A simple way to do this would be to encrypt the boot drive with TrueCrypt and set a password on the encrypted volume. Then you wouldn't have to worry about losing a flash drive (just forgetting the password :) ) I've heard of specific applications requiring USB drives/keys to work, but not at the BIOS level.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What do you mean by lock pc during boot please?
    Mrk

4. pinso

pinso Registered Member

i mean, the default mbr of the windows would be rewritten, that would make this locking software to run first and a user should provide a password, after inserting a usb, then the pc would read the default boot record : i had heard of it here in wildersecurity years back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.