Locate beta- any users? is it a key logger?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I inatalled this software named locate beta and SnoopFree is telling me that this programme is trying to hook my keyboard.

http://locate32.webhop.org/

Is this a legitimate behaviour for this software for rapid search? I did not see any other search software doing this so far or I might be missing soem thing here.
    If any body using this software I will like to ask how it can search so fast? Is it constantly running in background to index the file system.
    Thanks.

2. dog

dog Guest

Disabling the quick keys will remove the keyboard hook. ;) It's not a keylogger any app that uses keyboard shortcuts will need to monitor for them. Snoopfree is just making you aware that it is doing so ... it's a legitamate function.

It creates it's own index file when it's first run, and updates it's DB when you choose to do it manually, on start up if selected, or at the time(s) you scheduled if applicable. You don't need to have it running at startup, simply launch locate when needed and manually update the DB when required - that's the way I have mine config'd.

Yes it's an outstanding search tool. ;)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed reply. It,s really amazing application.
    I have only one concern, it its search is case sensitive and even when I disable this option, it misses some files as compared to windows builtin search. Or may be i ma not able to make a good configuration for it. So far I have tried it just for a short period though.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Aigle,

Contact the author which I did earlier today on another matter and he has replied already.:)

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Franklin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.