Localhost webserver issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Reis, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reis

    Reis Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Posts:
    3
    Hi Guys,

    Just downloaded and installed the trial of Nod32 to replace kaspersky and so far so good but one of my web guys at work has an issue. He is unable to access http://localhost once we installed Nod32 on his machine.

    We checked his hosts file and it has the 127.0.0.1 to localhost being mapped and nothing else in there. He can ping localhost and it does resolve although he has got IPV6 installed so it resolves to ::1 as it should. We did try adding this entry into the hosts file but it made no difference at all.

    We tried adding localhost to the exclusion list inside of Nod32 but it made no difference either.

    He can access the site by http://127.0.0.1 but not by localhost. The only way he is able to access it by using localhost in either IE or Firefox is by going into the advanced setup options in Nod32 and under Web access protection > HTTP, HTTPS > Web Browsers and clearing the box for both IE and Firefox. Obviously this is not ideal as we still want scanning to occur on the web browsers but still let him access localhost.

    He is on XP.

    Any ideas on how to resolve this?

    If any more information is needed then just let me know.
     
  2. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,374
    Commenting out this line in the hosts file should do the trick. Change:
    ::1 localhost
    to
    # ::1 localhost
     
  3. Reis

    Reis Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Posts:
    3
    Hi Marcos,

    Thanks for the reply.

    We have removed that line completely out of the hosts file and it has made no difference to the end result.

    Regards,

    Reis.
     
  4. Reis

    Reis Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Posts:
    3
    Phoned up support and was advised to turn off HTTP checking but make sure protocol filtering was selected to Applications marked as Internet browsers and email clients. This seemed to fix it in both IE and Firefox but a few minutes later the problem started occurring again and happening intermittently of firefox trying to go to localhost.com instead.

    Had a look round his system and decided that since IPv6 wasn't being used to remove it. This seems to have solved the problem completely. A weird error but hopefully it'll remain stable from now on.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.