Localhost proxy issue continued

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by act8192, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Still interested in LnS. Still didn't buy.
    I wasn't allowed to add this question to my old thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=256474
    so let's start again. PLEASE :)

What about an app not allowed internet that hooks to a permitted app?

Is this a bug in LnS or is it physically not possible (I doubt the not-possible answer since two other firewalls I use can and do monitor restrict the proxy port). If a bug, do I wait for v3?

How do users of Avast, Avira, NOD, Proxomitron use LnS? Or don't they?

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

When I used looknstop I never had any problems with worrying about loopback ,as the application filter always picked up anything that wanted to connect to the net.I used advanced options.I never felt unsafe using looknstop.Only thing i could never get my head around ,was trying to understand the way the rule editing worked compared to other firewalls ...terms like ethernet types ,frag offset ,etc.I know phantom and stem find these terms easy but it always baffled me.
    ellison

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thanks.
    On the old Kerio forums at DSLreports, Kerio threads here from 2007 or earlier, and in the CrazyM links here, and in Paranoid2000 guide for Outpost and others, the localhost proxy is mentioned and I have rules that permit the proxy port only in specific applications so as to eliminate something sneaking out through a hole. But it could be that LnS features would do just that like you say. One reason (of many) I'd like to learn about it. I've read the user guide and, like you say, there are some unbelievably difficult, obscure settings (frag offset etc) that only something like watching Wireshark might explain. I just hope I won't have to fiddle with those rules, and that I get the drift of the two-sided rule display ... if I ever get this firewall :)

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The main problem is when there is no control of an application gaining access to the localhost/loopback. Some of the earlier firewalls would allow you to place a block on an application, but it could still gain Internet via a local_host_proxy if one was available.
    With L`n`S, if you block an application at application level, then it also blocks that application from the localhost/loopback.

I use Proxomitron with L`n`S and have no problems.

- Stem

5. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Does it protect the OS at userland or does it protect the OS kernel?
    Kernel protection code runs with different privileges than userland and has complete control over the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.