Local Area Connection (monitors & red X) at startup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I really don't know if there is anything that can be done about this or not, but it is somewhat annoying.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, and there are two monitors with the red X that appear at startup and remain visible in the system tray - referring to "a network cable is unplugged". Can this be eliminated? From my understanding, it simply refers to the Windows firewall not being activated....but I use a different software firewall and have no need for the Windows XP firewall.

Does anyone know if there there is any way to have this icon removed from the sytem tray? Or does it actually refer to something different or more than just the Windows firewall? It doesn't really seem to serve a purpose, and it's annoying to look at....so I'd like to remove if it possible.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The only time I've seen a "network cable is unplugged" using dsl, is when lightning is around and interfering with phone lines. I've never seen the red x you speak of. Windows firewall is off on my computer using XP Home, sp2.
    If you do a google search for "network cable is unplugged, you will get a lot of hits.

3. JRCATES

Thanks, ronjor, I do use DSL....but this icon appears somewhat frequently at bootup, regardless of weather conditions. Not always...and it will usually disappear after a period of time (from plain view - but you can always expand to show the "hidden" icons, and POOF! there it is). I will try doing a Google search to see what I can find....but if anyone knows of a way to disbale it and make it disappear, I'll be forever thankful :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you tried right clicking on that icon for info?

5. JRCATES

Yeah, it brings up two options, neither of which seems like much help:

Change Windows Firewall Settings

Open Network Connections

I did stumble across this link, when following your suggestion to do a Google search:

Microsoft's solution

Here is the main text from the link:

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/562/unplugged9in.png

Their "resolution" seems to be written for a different operating system than XP. Any idea how to translate this to XP?

6. JRCATES

I also came across this thread, where people offered their version of how to correct this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1118104198

The above is an excerpt that was one guy's resolution....although I'm not sure which "card" he's referring to. When I have a little more time, I'll probably read it more carefully....but at least I'll have this link above to refer to it.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could checkthese: control panel, power options, power schemes, control panel, Network connections, and system, device manager (for any errors on devices).

Are you setup with multiple monitors or a network?

8. JRCATES

Thanks. No, just one monitor and no network. And it doesn't seem to matter whether I run as administrator or not, it's just there....like a bad habit that won't go away :mad:

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try setting your power options to always on and see if it goes away.
    Although it sounds simplistic, you could also run scandisk and check for any errors.

10. JRCATES

OK, maybe this will help (doubt it, but I'll give it a shot).

I know I shouldn't let such a trivial thing bother me so much, but it's just soooooo annoying.....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You just have one connection, right? One of those screenshots refers to your network card. I wonder if there is a problem with it?

12. JRCATES

Right, just the one connection. How can I check to see if there is a problem with a network card?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I am not familiar with the modem you are using. Is it usb? I'm not sure about the configuration using those.
    Did you see any errors in device manager?

14. JRCATES

It's Westell high speed internet...through Cincinnati Bell. I believe it's considered the same as broadband or DSL....pretty damned fast (they claim 100 times faster than dial-up, and it may well be). Wish I knew more about it that that, oh....yeah, it's usb.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would look in control panel, system, device manager and see if the network card is showing an error.

16. JRCATES

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What info do you get when you right click on the LAN with the error?

You could disable that connection and see what happens. Right click for options.

I'm suggesting the things I would try so be aware. :D

18. dog

dog Guest

Disable the Pro 100 network card ... which will set it as an inactive card and should clear the problem. ;)

19. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Go into your BIOS by pressing F2 or Del when the computer boots (your comp may use a different key but those are the most common).

Different BIOS's have the settings in different places so you will have to hunt around. What you need to do is disable LAN.

Then save your settings and exit.

HTH

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  20. JRCATES

Yep, worked like a charm, Steve. I didn't even think to see what options would be there by right clicking on the folder icon....and even if I had, I wouldn't have felt very comfortable switching it to "disable".

Speaking of which.....there shouldn't be any problems that arise because of this, should there? Can you think of any instances where it being disabled would cause a problem?

21. dog

dog Guest

No ;) If you ever need it (ie you switch your provider) just re-enable it. :)

22. JRCATES

Cool. Consider this topic closed :)

Hopefully, maybe it will provide help to others that have questions or concerns about this little nuisance.

Big thanks go out to ronjor, dog, and SpikeyB for all of their help with this.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.