Loading Firefox cache from memory: Faster?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That setting has been known for a long time. Not sure how many people are using it and I haven't seen or heard of anybody who actually bothered to measure what is the performance increase, if any. It doesn't hurt to try of course.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

99.99% of all tweaks are misunderstanding the work model. And people often blame the visual symptoms of a browser for bad computing and worse habits. But then populism sells faster than hot cakes.
    Mrk

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Lifehacker editor speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required He updates article with Mozilla answer but still think it is not a bad idea per se :eek:

When an editor on Lifehacker does not feel any need to check what he is writing why should sites based on other sites RSS feed start to investigate?

Guess good to hear that Mozilla is aware memory cache is not used so much in version 4.

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Quoting 'Mozillas answer to stupidity of the crowd' is hardly an investigation. And, for what it's worth, there are other opinions:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozi...293b0e01bb/7d52d5633bd71e16?#7d52d5633bd71e16

I've briefly tested the proposed settings and they do seem to make Firefox faster. So I wouldn't discard the idea based on just one opinion.

9. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Mozilla programmers do not give "opinions" but facts. But of course you can find reasoning for the most crazy ideas, especially if there is a chance of "making the rounds on twitter and tech blogs..." which is the only reason you ever read such nonsense. What stops Lifehacker dude from doing a minimum of research. The dude you reference use disk cache, as in USE disk cache, as in NOT turned OFF - but he deletes it after each session because of paranoia. Actually, from what I can read between the lines I think there is a good chance he have no clue what he is talking about but like news groups! Anyway, what he says has nothing to do with suggesting it is silly not to use a memory cache Mozilla forgot to enable. That idea is false no matter where you read it. Unless on slow portable version turning disk cache off is also a false tweak.

That 4 does not make much use of memory cache is true though. about:cache will tell you. When they eventually fix that "using the tweak at that point will be a strict loss." He is very polite ;)

Ramdisk has always been a tweak for those worried about I/O. That works regardless of opinions. Ram is faster than hd but hd is faster than nothing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Don't know if it is actually faster ? Sounds like it should be though ! I've had these settings in place for some time now with no visable etc issues :thumb:

Even if it isn't faster it's 100% more private :D :thumb:

My FF is set to Clear Recent History etc etc when closing, and it works ;)

After browsing for some time online with a number of windows open & reusing these to visit numbers of www's

c1.gif

After closing all windows

c2.gif

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.