LnS with Raxco FirstDefense problem

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jag1967, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hi

I've been using LnS, and recently with Raxco's FirstDefense-ISR http://www.raxco.com/products/fdisr/ which is system snapshot/go-back type program

After making a couple of snapshots and switching b/w the two, which FD allows, LnS asks me to revalidate the license/serial no. which I do successfully. But on next bootup, it changes the LnS Code (on the LHS box), so my license/serial no. is no longer valid.

Any help please?

thanks
    jag

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hi, I don't have a clue. Please send a question to LnS support, and if there is a solution/feedback, please post it here (so we can learn) :D

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, somewhat puzzled here. FirstDefense should not be messing you up because it simply copies your entire c:drive, file by file, but you probably already know that. Four things are exceptions, they do not get copied: the paging file, temp files, hibernation file, and recycle bin. Also, of course, anything in the RAM does not get copied. I often find myself updating my FirstDefense Snapshots and discovering that something was not copied, only to find that it was my fault; I will make a change in the setting of some program, but failed to save the settings, so they were still in the RAM and not yet on the c:drive, so they are not copied.

But if your LnS thingie is saved and on your c:drive, it must be getting copied onto the other Snapshot. o_O

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You might want to try disabling LnS before doing the copy. I know if I don't disable PG, then I get two errors, which are the PG dat files. You might have some issue like that. I don't have any other security software problems, but in Zone Alarm, I turn off it's self protection, and let PG handle it. Check and see if you get errors when you copy.

Other than that trust me Acadia's right. You wouldn't believe what I've done to my system in a snapshot, and then a copy just puts all back.

Pete

5. jag1967

That's what I would have thought too.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I've emailed LnS support and Raxco too, and will keep you posted.

jag

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

When making changes to Look ‘n’ Stop settings, these settings don’t get saved (even though you “Apply”) until after successful exit procedure of Look ‘n’ Stop GUI.

7. jag1967

Hi Phantom

sorry for being not fully understanding your message, could you please clarify further? Are you indicating that I should exit/shut down LnS before making a snapshot?

Also, LnS support emailed me and said there's known issue with firstdefense

thanks
    jag

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh, really, now that's interesting. Did they happen to state what that issue was? Usually the only programs that have issues with FD are programs that mess with the Master Boot Record. o_O

Acadia

9. jag1967

They just said a slight hardware change may have impacted on LnS. I did install a second sata hard-drive over a month ago, but I actually did a clean XP install on the new drive with a new copy of LnS (which I had a new license for because I couldn't find the old one)

Whatever the problem, it could be that the LnS reset itself with the new code, so it was in trial mode, and I didn't realise until it expired?
    Getting all confused now o_O

Anyhow, they've given me a new license code. Will use it, and shut down LnS when doing a snapshot.

Firstdefense does have an anchoring data feature, which doesn't change over snapshots - though not sure what bits of LnS I would anchor and whether this would make any difference
    Other than that, I could go to my primary snapshot and start over, but don't fancy re-installing all my applications :doubt:

jag

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I believe Data Anchoring, which I have never used, is just used for Data files such as Word docs, Excel spread sheets, etc. My guess, and I want to emphasize that this is just a guess, is that Data Anchoring will not work with program settings. :doubt:

Acadia

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Data Anchoring for the My Docs area. This is where I save all data from applications. I wouldn't recommend Data Anchoring anything relating to programs, systems etc, or you may have a screwed up snapshot when you go to boot to it.

12. jag1967

Re: LnS with Raxco FirstDefense problem - update

I haven't anchored any data, as most data I store is on another partition, so doesn't change when using different snapshots

Some further information:

When I boot up into a snapshot, LnS displays one code number (in the left-side box); and then when I reboot into the SAME snapshot, it displays a different code number.
    And it switches between the two code numbers every subsequent boot up I do into the samp snapshot.
    It seems like there are two switching versions of LnS, though existing on one snapshot??

jag

13. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

Wow, just came across this thread and I have FirstDefense-ISR. Made a snapshot after exiting L'n'S following Jag1967 advise. My question is;

Will this solve the new license code issue ?

There seems to be no follow up on the problem or am I missing something here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.