LNS vs Outpost Pro...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by justme2, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justme2

justme2 Guest

I tried lookNstop and Outpost Pro... The trials are over so I its time to buy one of these two..
    So how do the features of these two compare?
    Looknstop is a very good firewall stelthed all ports and 100% on ShieldsUp test.
    Outpost has not stelthed the ident 113 port and replied to ICMP echo even thought I disabled the ECHO from ICMP settings

I want to know both sides what they believe so i will ask the same thing at Outpost forums to have a better picture.

2. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

You will only get advocate posts from a forum dedicated to a certain product.

What do you think the people at Agnitum forum will tell you?

How about people in the LnS forum?

Pick the one you like better.

I picked LnS for _me_ because:

- Agnitum screwed me over with a bug fix that was only available via a paid upgrade (bad service)
    - Outpost Pro takes too much mem / cpu time (too consuming for me)
    - I don't need all the bells and whistles Outpost Pro has (too many features, making it cluttered for me)
    - LnS was superior in outbound leak test prevention at the time when I chose the firewall

I picked LnS, despite:

- it has a very poor interface (for me)
    - it is somewhat complicated to use for a person not well versed in routing terminology (and the terminology / logic LnS uses)
    - one has to use 3rd party extenders to get it start as a service before network connection is enable
    - it has had issues with Application filtering not being enabled after install (has happened to me three times, every time after a fresh install)
    - new rules configuration is not the easiest process
    - Application filtering is not rules based (filtering rules are separate from application rules, although you can "bind them" by enabling a rule only when an application is active, but that's not the same as applying the rule for that application alone)

I'm not saying LnS is better in everything compared to Outpost Pro, but it was better for me at the time when I did my choosing.

I'm still looking for a better firewall though. If LnS did a complete logic / app filtering / interface / documentation / start-up routine overhaul, I think would be a firewall application to beat.

Best of luck with your choice.

regards,
    halcyon

3. tlu

tlu Guest

In the case you used the free version - it's no longer updated, indeed, since it's too old. OP Pro has many (security related and other) improvements and is worth the price, IMHO. A renewal license is 50% of the original license price.
    Well, no problem here. How much mem/cpu time does LnS consume?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I can think of no feature that doesn't make sense. Active content filtering, for example, is very important for me and not offered by all firewalls. The way how OP is doing it is very efficient. I disable all types of active content by default. Thus, I'm well protected against any malicious scripting, but I can nevertheless enable one or more types of active content on a site-by-site basis if necessary.
    At least in the past months, OP was the best firewall overall and regarding leaktests in every comparison test I've read.
    Perhaps you should have a look at OP again ...;)

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Like I wrote: you'll get answer from die-hard supporters, who fail to see any failure in the product they chose themselves :)

No, I won't be giving Agnitum any more of my money. They got one license money out of me.

Thanks for trying though :)

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Gibson Research Corporation may contain info on how to stealth 113. Certainly the support section of Agnitum may be able to help if you contact them. By the way I do not use either product you have mentioned,so no axe to grind here.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

There is a previous Outpost Pro or Look 'n' Stop thread here - most of the information on that should still be valid, though Outpost has had 2 upgrades since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.