LnS On Vista?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by chaosblade, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaosblade

chaosblade Registered Member

Hi there everyone.

I was wondering if anyone gave LnS a shot in some Windows Vista builds like the post-beta2 builds or RC1.

If no one tried it I could always try it myself on RC1 but I wanted to know whats going on before installing things that contain drivers on vista ;)

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to more LnS improvements :)

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi chaosblade,

Yes, I've tried.

I succeeded to have Look 'n' Stop working fine under Vista (32 Bits).

Drivers seem to be globally compatible, which is a very good thing :cool:
    I needed to manually install the lnsfw.sys driver (lnscfg.exe seems to have some issues).
    The drivers need a small update anyway, since one DDK API since to have changed a bit, and this cause a BSOD. I can provide drivers update for that, if someone encounter this issue.
    I experienced also some issue with the "Automatic selection" of the adapter. Setting it manually is Ok so far.

Regards,

Frederic

3. chaosblade

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to make sure but I go ahead and install it, Did you have to do anything special after running the installer?

I'm going to just install from the p3 package and import my ruleset from XP. Is there anything else you think I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Did you reboot and Look 'n' Stop started normally with no error ?
    If yes, then lnscfg.exe worked for you and lnsfw.sys is installed properly.

Then what I did:
    - configured the adapter manually, because the automatic choice was not working fine (however, again, this may be Ok on your PC)
    - updated both drivers with the following new drivers to avoid some BSOD (especially when doing windows update):
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Vista/

Frederic

5. chaosblade

I'm going to try installing it in a moment, Just in-case It doesn't,
    How do you install the driver manually, besides copying it to the system32 folder? any regsvr32 or similar commands?

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Copy the driver file (lnsfw.sys) and the 2 .inf files (from http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Vista/ ) in the same folder.

Then open the network properties of the adapter you want to protect (usually the one of your network card). Click "Install...", select service, specify the folder where the 2 .inf are, a dialog box should open with "Look 'n' Stop driver" select it.

After the standard installation, if it doesn't work (and before doing the manual installation), open the network properties to see if the Look 'n' Stop driver is there anyway. If it is, remove it and reboot before doing the manual installation.

Frederic

7. chaosblade

So far, no go. Install itself fails with random 0x8004 codes (HRESULT I assume).
    I tried installing the driver manually after that but it keeps complaining about network dialogs already being open by some other process.

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, I had similar problems.

I think I've removed Look 'n' Stop drivers in the properties of all network adapters, and I also removed them in the Device Manager list in the network group (select in the menu "Show hidden devices" to see everything).
    Only then I was able to do the manual installation (perhaps after an additional reboot).

Frederic

9. luozhiqi

luozhiqi Registered Member

Platform: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SP1

I've downloaded the two new drivers designed for Vista, and replaced the old ones in the path: program files\system32\drivers.

In case of crash, I left the advanced options by default. For the moment LnS
    runs smoothly.

Frederic, are these two (3.005 & 4.00:cool: compatible with the advanced options such as watch thread injection, watch DNS calls, and etc?

10. chaosblade

Any news on someone getting cFosSpeed to run correctly by just installing? Considering build 5728 went public aswell.

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Yes, normally they are, but not more/not less than the normal 2.05p3.

Note that these 2 new drivers are normally for vista only, at this time they are still compatible with 2000/XP/2003, but next ones may be specific to Vista only.

Frederic

12. luozhiqi

luozhiqi Registered Member

I dare not click the Advanced Options button any more until a completely compatible driver for Windows Server 2003 Family releases.

BSOD occurred immediately as I enabled all advanced options including DLL Detection.

I unpluged my Network Adapter and rebooted the Windows Sever 2003 in normal mode. Then in LnS I found that the configuration in advanced options was left by default, which is to say, no incompatible subfunctions were enbled.

We anticipate revamped driver for the Non Windows XP SP2 systems.

Best regards,

luozhiqi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.