LnS for dummies

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ohecht, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohecht

ohecht Registered Member

Hi,
    Iv'e just switched to LnS 2.05p2 from Sygate since it's discountinued, and I can't seem to find myself with it. I'll explain:

1. The alerts for allowing applications is not as informative. in sygate it told me what IP is the application trying to get to or if it's inbound, what IP it came from, it also gave me the option to allow it once or always. How can I know if it's legit or not?

2. Setting a rule is very difficult for me, I couldn't find a guide explaining setting a rule for the beginner.

3. Shields up suddenly says my port 80 is open, all I did was uninstall Sygate and install LnS with ExtendedRulesSet.

4. My connection is WiFi, with LnS it keeps connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. After quitting LnS the connection is stable.

So far these are all my issues with LnS, hope I can solve them and keep using it, or it's back to old sygate for me.

Thanks!!!
    Oren.

-edit
    I'm also using a router on my connection. I tried reading the sticky guide but couldn't find the correct IGMP packets and the specified settings, any help on that?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. its just a limitation of lns.
    2. -
    3. check ur router's firewall settings if it has any.
    4. try downloading the wifi rule

for ur router, it could be a different packet that needs to be allowed. for me, its a ping type 3 packet or something like that.

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ohecht,

Some additional answers.

For 1.: Look 'n' Stop basic principle is to allow completely an application or to not allow it at all, and to ask the user simple questions (no IP, ports...).
    However, after you allowed an application to connect, you can have access to further data about the connection (IP & Port) by selecting the !! flag for it. Also by double-clicking on the application in the list you can specify/exclude ports & IP. You need to enable advanced mode for these options.
    Also the advanced mode offers you the selection, allow once, allow just for the session.

For 2.: most of the time you don't need to create a rule. If one application is not working because a rule is missing, look at the FAQ or ask here and someone could provide (hopefully) a .rie (ruleset import/export file) to you.

Regards,

Frederic

4. ohecht

ohecht Registered Member

Thanks for the answers, been very helpful.
    It's starting to get easier as I use it, viewing existing rules, and actions of that sort.

I'm still getting IGMP packets from my router, and when I grant them access I get different destination addresses...
    Are all IGMP packes legit? can I add a rule that grants every IGMP access (Inbound and Outbound) from my NIC's MAC address and my router's MAC address?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.