LnS and WRT54G router

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jasyn, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

I'm a new user with LnS and am trying to properly configure it. So far everything has been done automatically .. and i've imported a couple rules to the set off the website .. my question now is do i need to configure LnS to work with my router? I didn't really understand what was being said in the Configuring Look'n'Stop with Routers thread .. is it necessary to do all those things? If it is necessary or beneficial .. would someone like to help me out .. even with the screenshots it is quite confusing :blink:

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

The only rule you need from that thread is the broadcast rule with the wrt54g router (I have the router, good choice ;) )

Also, use the Enhanced rule set which can be found by going to the internet filtering tab, clicking the load button, and double clicking "Enhanced Rule set".

You may also want the file and printer sharing rules which can be downloaded from the website.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

is that the IGMP rule? also i use the MAC Address Clone feature on the WRT54G. is that the MAC Address that I am suppose to be using or am I suppose to be using the one listed on the router's sticker? also for Direction I do not see Internet >> PC .. all I see is Outbounds, Inbounds, and Inbounds & Outbounds .. from the picture I am assuming I am suppose to be using Inbounds?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  4. Alphalutra1

The UDP rule you should use, its inbounds, and don't worry about mac address, just select any.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

I don't get how to setup the UDP rule .. the picture is confusing .. I have however gotten the IGMP (I believe). How do I tell if I've done it correctly?

6. Alphalutra1

Here is the broadcasting rule which I edited to work for you ;) (for the direction select inbounds and outbound sorry that my mouse covered it)

Alphalutra1

Attached Files:

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Does LnS install detect the Mac addresses or is this something I would have to enter manually?
    not trying to hijack this post but I am following the router setup bit :oops:

8. Alphalutra1

I think you need to enter it manually, though I am not sure since I don't use look'n'stop for inbound. To find your mac address, just go start->run then type in "cmd.exe" without the quotes, then type
    and it will list your mac address.

The mac address of the router may be listed in the router's web configuration, on a sticker of the router,etc.

Some router's also let you change their mac address so you can change it to something then use that.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you for your detailed reply, appreciate this.
    I wouldn't be depending on LnS for inbound as I am behind my router it is the control of my outbound applications I am hoping to achieve.
    I think I will still need to configure to allow my router in case it blocks my connection but mainly I want to control my software.

10. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

thank you for the picture. one question is under the destination side for IP Address you have 192.168.1.255 .. am I suppose to put that or am I suppose to put something else? also how do I know if I set it up correctly? in my logs i see a lot of UDP rules from application 192.168.1.1 (which is the router IP) .. should those be disappearing?

11. Alphalutra1

You should keep 192.168.1.255.

If those entries keep on coming up, just post some of the results of your log here so I can see what look'n'stop is blocking that it shouldn't be.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

12. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u disable internet filtering, then all traffic will be allowed (except when u block an app) and u dont need to create any rules.
    im guessing 192.168.1.1 is ur router/gateway. unless ur internet connection no longer works, then id just keep em blocked.

14. Alphalutra1

You definately don't want those packets coming into your computer, they are from UPnP. I recommend that you disable UPnP on your router which can be done by typing
    in your browser tool bar then hitting enter. Give it your password (if you haven't changed it, the type in "admin") then navigate to the page that is shown in the picture(it will be slightly different in yours) and set UPnP to disable. If your routers setup is very different, search around for the UPnP option and disable it.

Next, go start-run type in "services.msc" double click on "SSDP Discovery Service" then set the startup type to disabled.

Then double-click on Universal Plug and Play Device Host and also set its startup type to disabled. Exit out of the window, and you should be good to go, and not have those entries in your log anymore.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

15. jasyn

jasyn Registered Member

is there something I have to do with LnS & my WRT54G router to setup file and printer sharing? I reformatted like I said and now I can't get my other computers on my wireless network to print.

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can get the file sharing rules here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.