LnS and Fast User Switching

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by JoeTheZombie, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeTheZombie

JoeTheZombie Registered Member

Before I install LnS, I want to make sure it works with multiple users, and that the rules are shared between all users. I should be able to switch between users via Fast User Switching and have the firewall prompts follow along with the active user.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi JoeTheZombie :)

The (beta but stable) version of the LNS service 2.05p3 works well
    with the Fast User Switching feature of W xp sp2...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=98973

To use LNS as service you must set the startup in the "Options" tab
    to "No automatic startup"...

:)

3. JoeTheZombie

Well, I installed it and started it as a service. But just as I thought, here is the problem:

Logged in as User1. Fast-User-Switch to User2. Startup an application. LnS presents the allow/block dialog to User1 instead of the current User2, so I have to switch back to User1 to allow/deny access.

Also, the dialog doesn't say what address or port the application wants to access.

Looks like I'm heading back to Kerio.

4. Pete99

Pete99 Registered Member

There seem to be two different wishes by LnS users. Some people, like you, want all of the users of a computer to be able to change firewall rules.

I, on the other hand, want only myself to be able to change firewall rules on my computer. I always login first to my computer, and as an Admin user. Everyone else in my family logs in as a "limited user". I do not want them to be able to change anything about LnS' settings (or my anti-virus settings, etc.).

So, I'm very happy with the current behavior of LnS. However, I understand that your request is equally valid. If a future version of LnS changes in this regard, I hope that it will give options to make both of us happy.

5. JoeTheZombie

If only one of your limited users is logged in, are they not presented with allow/deny dialog?

6. Pete99

Pete99 Registered Member

I don't know. That situation will never exist on my computer because I (the admin) *always* login to my computer first and I remain logged in at all times, regardless of whether there are zero, one, or more "limited users" who also login after me. So my Windows account is always in control of LnS and its GUI dialogs, etc.

I'm always logged in so that my email client can download my messages every five minutes, 24/7. And besides, it's a hassle to logout/login over and over and I have no good reason to ever logout (except if I restart my computer).

LnS is not the only software on my computer that behaves this way. For example, I use a program called "AutoMate" that also gives special treatment to the first user that logs into the computer. Its Windows Service "attaches" itself to the first user.

7. LucIfer

LucIfer Registered Member

As i know,the v2.05SP3 have a little bug...it fast user switching...hh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.