LnS 2.06 and Virtual PC (VPC)

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by skurys, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skurys

skurys Registered Member

I have LnS 2.06 and Virtual PC 2007 installed.
    I also have a router sharing the internet to my computer and a second computer.

I installed the rules for File Sharing so I can transfer files between computers.

I want to know, do the file sharing rules allow internet access to Virtual PC? Because no window popped up and the VPC machine has full access to the net. Shouldn't it at least give me an application pop up for VPC trying to use the internet? Or do the file sharing rules i downloaded allow full internet access to my VPC machine?

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

No, the fact you have installed the file sharing is not linked to the fact the Virtual machine has access to internet.

Probably VPC on the host doesn't connect directly to have allow connections in the virtual machine, but installs and uses drivers in windows internals to be able to send and received packets and the VPC application is not directly sending and receiving packets.

You can try to allow the DLL filtering and protocol filtering in the advanced options and maybe some special DLLs or special protocol will be detected by Look 'n' Stop.

Regards,

Frederic

3. skurys

skurys Registered Member

So if some virus were to get my computer then it would be possible to access then internet the same way VPC does, and pass undetected no?

Shawn

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, it's like installing a new network driver when you add a new network hardware, a VPN...
    If a virus install itself like this, it could bypass some firewall protections.

However, there is normally some Windows protection to avoid any application installing this kind of drivers, without the user consent. And this has been again impoved in Vista, and again in Vista x64 (network drivers require a digital signature there).

Also the Protocol detection in Look 'n' Stop is supposed to detect special drivers directly sending packets. Did you try it ?

Back to VPC, I don't exactly what it installs to offer internet connectivity into the virtual machine to internet.

Frederic

5. skurys

skurys Registered Member

Is that in Options / Advanced Options / Protocols?

There is NETBT.SYS and TCPIP.SYS listed and on the bottom it says Disabled. I set it to Enabled and any new drivers will be blocked?

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, in the Protocols dialog box, select Enable. This will not detect any driver, but just network protocol drivers sending packets to the low level driver.

Same for the DLL detection dialog box, you should enable it also, just in case (as I don't expect something to be detected there for VPC).

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.