LNS 2.05p3 - not saving rules, ICS crashes and XP won't shut down

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by izaac, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Hello All,

I've been trialling LNS 2.05p3 for a couple of days now and have come across three problems I've not been able to solve. I installed 2.05p3, applied the enhanced rule set, then ics.rie, SharingSP2, Emule.rie, msn_Messenger.rie and bittorrent.rie. Tested with Shields Up and got excellent results - low resource usage and file sharing with the other pc on my workgroup was not a problem, BUT....

1.LNS doesn't seem to want to save my settings - every time I select Application Filtering, save and exit, it restarts without it selected. Also it won't show any more than five rules under Internet Filtering - it never shows the Enhanced Rule set and randomly shows five of the other rules I've applied.

2.I can file share with my other pc with no problems but if my second pc tries to access the internet via ICS, then my main pc (server) reboots straight away.

3.Windows XP won't shut down (both pcs are XP SP2 Pro) - I have to hold the power button in for four seconds to get the pc to power down. I can force a shutdown with Shutdown Now and I have tried UPHClean, the Microsoft utility, but that hasn't made any difference.

I've liked LNS the most of all the recent firewalls I've used (Sygate, Outlook and Tiny) apart from these niggling bugs - any thoughts please?

Many thanks for your help,
    Izaac

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Your looknstop.exe file is corrupted.
    Just re-execute the setup on top of your current installation, and a correct looknstop.exe will be put again.

Perhaps you have a virus.

Regards,

Frederic

3. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response - I've had some problems with the Win32:Tenga virus and thought that I had cleaned it up completely - obviously not - I will reinstall and test again.

Many thanks,
    Izaac

4. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Okay - I've done a complete reinstall and the first and third problems have gone away but I'm still having problem 2 - whenever the client pc uses ICS to access the internet, the server pc crashes. I've applied the ICS server rule on the server pc and the ICS client rule on the client and sharingsp2.rie on both.

Any thoughts?

many thanks for your help,
    Izaac

5. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Any ideas?

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

This is a known old issue but very very rare. I think the last time someone reported it that was several months ago.
    Unfortunately we don't know the reason, and thus we have no fix :(

What you can try is to verify if the network drivers of your ethernet board are up to date on the server PC.

Frederic

7. izaac

izaac Registered Member

And updating the ethernet card driver on my server pc fixed the problem - many thanks for your suggestion - I have a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor with a driver dated 24/4/2003 - I updated this to the latest version (from January 2006) and the problem is solved.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

For me now, LNS is the perfect firewall.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

strange..i use same card? with drivers from 2004..no crash etc at all with 2.5p3/xp pro sp2..all features enabled btw

Attached Files:

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Are you also using this PC as an ICS server with some other client PC using it to connect to Internet ?
    This is the condition to encounter the issue.

Frederic

10. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Also mine was a Rhine II, not a Rhine III - I guess that might make a difference.

11. izaac

izaac Registered Member

I was wrong - it is still crashing even with the updated driver.

Back to the drawing board......

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Still talking about a crash of the ICS server just when a client connect ?
    If you have a BSOD and an associated Minidump, send it to me at lnssupport@soft4ever.com.

Frederic

13. izaac

izaac Registered Member

Thanks Frederic for your help - I've just sent a email with the two most recent minidump files - let me know how you get on making sense of it all.

thanks again,
    izaac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.