Living in safe mode 24/7:

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by apathy, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Through the advice of Coldmoon I have moved my application data folder to my d:\ drive. I will stay in system safe mode 24/7 to protect my sensitive OS. Returnil 2010 protecting my OS partition will keep me safe from drive-by downloads and some asshat using my computer without my permission and screwing it up. Coldmoon if you have any other advice I would be most thankful. Btw I have two licenses but they don't work in 2010.

EDIT: I have install 2010 beta on a netbook with 2GB of ram, the only other thing security wise I will run is Defensewall because I feel naked without it. I wonder if Returnil 2010 beta has some extensive data read/write which will make things a bit sluggish.

Another edit: I stand corrected, there is no hard drive/cpu/mem hit whatsoever with Returnil 2010.
    Even the shutdown doesn't take that long. The only thing I've noticed that is out of the ordinary is that firefox's session saver I guess is in registry because during system safe mode it doesn't save the tab sessions.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I have a couple questions about the file manager:

I see you can choose folders/files to be saved and they will exist
    after everything else has been dropped. Do I have to do this manually
    every time? Btw Returnil 2010 is excellent I have not seen any negative
    impact while running this full time, kudos Coldmoon.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

If you have files you save frequently (office document drafts, media projects, databases, etc) you would add them individually to the File Manager list and then:

1. Open RVS > Tools > File Manager > Save Files or,
    2. Right click the tray icon and click "Update Selected" or,
    3. Right click the toolbar and select "Update Selected"

For those files you want to save on-the-fly, right click the file and then select "Commit to the real disk" in 2x. This option will be available in 3x at some point during the beta series and will definitely be available in the final release.

Mike

4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I'm getting some delay write fails on returnil's virus updates and sometimes when I update selected files and folders. There is zero negative impact staying in Returnil 2010 Beta. You just have to make sure that if you need to make minor os changes to do it when your not in system safety mode. I almost want to inject a virus in the environment to see what happens when I reboot.

5. Coldmoon

Is System Safe on or off when you get the delayed write errors for the Virus Guard update?

6. apathy

apathy Registered Member

The system safe mode is on.. I think the file name was something like rvsfile.mon. Also I noticed that Returnil 2010 took like 35 gig for the img
    file.

7. Coldmoon

We have identified an issue where the AV does not update properly when System Safe is on and it is scheduled to be dealt with in the next beta build (B8 ). For now, make sure you update wth virtualization off in b7a.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.