Livecd & ethernet connections

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chattycathy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Since you cannot download with ethernet (eth0), does the wlan0 interface work to do the download? If not, then you must be able to download the driver .deb file using your Win7 OS. If you can do that, then to transfer the file to a booted Ubuntu 12.04.2 Live CD/USB environment there are a couple of ways:

1) cp -p the .deb file onto a blank CD/USB either unpartitioned/unformatted (or drag and drop it to the media if possible) or

2) cp -p the .dev file onto a CD/USB formatted with an MBR and a vfat file system volume (or drag and drop as above). You can use Disk Utility from Ubuntu to do the formatting beforehand.

Once you have the .deb file readable in the Ubuntu 12.04.2 environment, then cp -p (as root) it from the CD/USB onto your Desktop so you can see it in front of you,

Then (as root) issue the following commands from the ~ubuntu/Desktop directory:
    # chown root *.deb
    # chgrp root *.deb

Now that you have moved the .deb file to the Ubuntu 12.004.2 Live CD/USB environment,
    then do the procedure as in the previous message #25. If you remain as root, then do the commands without the sudo.

Good luck, and let me know a detailed account if you have any problems with this.

-- Tom

2. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I tried but again, it still doesn't work. I think it's time I forget about it. As it is, I'm trying to juggle working on this between taking care of my terminally ill husband so I won't have much time to work on something this complicated. I'm sorry you have spent so much time on this and it was for nothing but I do appreciate everything. As I stated earlier, at least I know why it doesn't work from just booting to the livecd like it used to. If I should have more time later on and get it to working, I'll come back and respond to let you know. Thanks again.

3. lotuseclat79

Hi chattycathy,

When you revisit this thread, I heartily recommend you goto the website Bash Shell Scripts and Tutorials to learn about bash shell scripting.

Another tip for Ubuntu Precise LTS (i.e. 12.04) is to download and bookmark the Ubuntu Guide wiki webpage and keep it handy on your computer to help you learn it without needing to find it on the Internet.

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. chattycathy

Thanks for the links! When things settle down here and I have more time, I will check those sites and the manual out. I still would like to use a livecd occasionally so maybe your links will hep me do that after I learn more of what I'm suppose to be doing. Thanks again!

5. lotuseclat79

6. chattycathy

I downloaded Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and burned it to dvd but it doesn't work either. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.