livecd and fd-isr

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have recieved a linux livecd of ubuntu today, I guess I just want to look at what is on the other side of the curtain.

I don't want to install it as I said, just run it and have a look at linux.

Will there be any problems putting in the cd and letting it boot? I ask because of any possible conflict with FD-ISR. If I had to make a choice, there would be no choice, FD is my lifeline!

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Each time when I want to do something risky or something I've never done before, I take a backup of my system partition.
    I trust my backup software, including the restoration.

After that I just do what I want without fear, including your livecd.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

I agree with Erik on this. No telling what livecd does, you might post about that in the general forum, but I like to have a tested image before doing stuff like that. Then I am covered as if the disk failed, which FDISR doesn't cover.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

I've seen enough posts, where users should have taken a backup first, but they didn't and that's where the real misery begins, if something goes wrong.
    Sometimes I have to control myself for not typing an impolite post. :D

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Shouldn't be any problems booting from the cd.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I must be totally honest here with you gentlemen, and tell you that I came back to tell you how I got on, and have just read your posts.

First, let me tell you that I tried it, it worked, and luckily my computer and FD are unaffected.

It is clear that as well as FD-ISR and Perfect Disk, both of which Peter talked me into (only joking Peter:) ) I am going to have to do something about imaging. These learning curves are getting so steep, ladies of advanced years such as myself, sometimes need ladders just to reach the curves!!

I feel so comfortable with FD and depend on it when testing software, I am now going to have to find an imaging software that will give me the same confidence and suit my setup.

7. ErikAlbert

A wise decision !!!

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

There is no problem booting from CD. I have not done it with Ubuntu but other linux live CD´s and no problems what so ever. Ubuntu cant be different from them.
    If I recall right firstdefense boot sector isnt even loaded that early in the boot process.

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:thumb:
    Ubuntu live CD boot worked fine for me: no install, just run from CD: heh not ready to mix it up up with Linux bootloaders and FDISR preboot just yet.

Disable preboot if you want a little extra serenity.

Also as noted keep at least an off drive archive. ;)
    If not full system image. Just for peace of mind. :)

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

My very next step exactly. Theres nothing more secure and more complete IMO to finalizing that confidence then to image the whole disc filled with all your most important contents from countless months of hours/days/weeks of good work in order to come full circle with just such a relief as that.

I just happen to have an Unbuntu install CD myself collecting dust, would it be practical to trust that FD-ISR can support this install say to a empty snapshot and boot to it without any problems?

11. ErikAlbert

That's why I tested the restoration of Acronis TI so many times, in the beginning one after another over my installed or zero-ed harddisk.

Having a reliable Image Backup is not enough, you also have to backup REGULARLY and above all at the RIGHT moment. Each time when I do something that might be a risk for my system, I backup my system/data partition first and I don't mind the time it takes like many users do, I can lose alot more time, if I don't backup. I've read enough posts, where users had serious problems due to a backup, they didn't take as a precaution.
    There must be alot of users, who take a backup every day, but are scared to do a restoration, because they never tested the restoration.

If you are a FDISR-user, you can reduce the size of your system partition to the very bone, because you only need an image of an installed Windows + FDISR and the rest of your system partition can be restored with archived snapshots.
    FDISR is not only a very good UNINSTALLER, but also a very good INSTALLER, including the personal settings of each application.

Once an archive exists, FDISR is the fastest backup method you can get, because FDISR uses the same method as always by adding, removing, replacing objects until the archive is up-to-date and that takes only seconds or minuts.

I paid alot of attention to Image Backup and Immediate System Recovery to recover from any malware attack or legitimate software attack, because security softwares won't save my skin if I'm in trouble, they fail too much.

Another issue are your personal data files.
    Taking an image of these files is good, but wasn't good enough for me, because a data image is always out-of-date, even when you backup EVERY DAY.
    If your data is stored on the system partition and something happens so bad that you have to restore your system partition, you will lose all the updatings of your data files of TODAY.
    That's why I moved my data files to another partition to keep the updatings of TODAY, even when my system partition is in serious trouble and needs to be restored completely.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  12. Peter2150

Way to go. I've found Shadow Protect to be outstanding. I've torture tested it doing testing, and never had a problem restoring the disk back as when I started.

Between SP and FDISR, once does get to feeling invincible.

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well Peter2150, based on reading of your experiences with ShadowProtect i'm not so reluctant as i been accustomed to being with most other Imaging Proggys, and for this reason. Whenever i could finally get a restore actually put into place, the hard drive always seemed to take on a more unacceptably modified behavior such as more frequent thrashing then before or some other issue which bothered my conscience and kept me in the back of my mind suspicious that the restore wouldn't hold up for very long untill another restore would become neccessary again.

If ShadowProtect rings as true as i've read of many other users along with yours i have no problem whatsoever in turning to that program. I need relief from years of from not-so-perfect code to the proverbial conflicts that led to failure or at the very least, limitations that were simply not acceptable enough for complete satisfaction. Sorry to say that Acronis and Norton's are two in particular i reference with complaint from my experiences with them both, "BUT" that was many, many months ago and i'm sure they've matured/improved by now but i'm not willing to test my nerves with them again. ShadowCraft on the other hand, i have proven reliable and stable, plus user-friendly for me, and that has to do with their shadowing program, so i harbor no reservations that they wouldn't deliver on their claims; and yours plus other members post bear that out for me.

14. Peter2150

Well my fun for today, is to image my higher performance system, and then new a new install of vista, mainly to do some testing of Shadowprotect under vista. You think I'd do that in a heart beat if I wasn't 100% confident, I could get back. No way.

Pete

PS. I've actually already done this once

15. Peter2150

HI Easter

Something else I've done is using Acronis Disk director shrunk the partition down, and then slide it around on the disk to see if it would boot under these conditions. Then when done restored the disk with SP. First thing I do with SP is delete the volume, and then have SP restore the exact partition as it was in the image. Then I restore the image, mbr and track 0.

I'd never know, the stuff I'd done had happened. I actually tried some of this stufff with other programs and did have failures. Thats why testing is so important, even though people are scared to do it.

Pete

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Looks like some things i experimented with before to make sure the product could live up to it's claims, ;) except i don't recall ever sliding it around disk like that :cool:
    I used PARAGON quite extensively over the recent years to do all sorts of disk chores from shrinking partitions to merging unallocated space with another partition's free space and even made some good use of the bootloader to access my 98SE drive when Win XP's loader went blind or else forgot it was there.

So far i like all you been able to accomplish with SP as well as others who report great results with it. Like FD-ISR, now that i've actually experienced it for myself, there comes along occasionally a single product that excells in almost every way and performs beyond expectations, looks to me like SP is in this category. Never mind suggestions of RBx with me because i'm still playing catch up in this field of dreams. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.