Live TV still satisfies viewers’ needs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/2013070328607/live-tv-still-satisfies-viewers-needs.html

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I wonder who was behind this study? :D I guess this goes along with the "Please save us" commercials the broadcast industry has had on TV the last few weeks. I don't think they are getting it. We like live TV, sure. But we don't want 90 "Big Brother"-type shows, we don't want a bunch of American Idol knockoffs, we don't want to pay 100 bucks for 200 channels of 10 cooking networks, 20 ESPN versions and, what, out of 200 channels maybe 80 that we either like or tolerate? Half hour TV shows of which 10-15 minutes are actually the show, the rest being commercials.

We went to the internet for television and movies for several reasons:

1. Cheaper.

2. Either we don't deal with ads at all or we at the very least get 25 minutes of that half hour show.

3. We can pay for and generally get what we want to watch and only that.

4. We've moved beyond the living room and now often watch things on the go or elsewhere in general.

Every industry needs to learn that customers, when the option is there, will go through hoops to get what they want, especially if they're paying for the content. No good options to pay for it and be legal? Well, there is where piracy starts. "My way or the highway" doesn't work anymore.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha, well I mostly agree with your opinions, and regarding commercials in the Live TV broadcasts or perhaps commercials in general (depending on if the show is 30min or 2H of course), I usually take advantage of them by visiting the bathroom, making a sandwich, a cup of coffee etc etc.... I don't know what the commercial rules are in the U.S. but in Europe they are allowed to broadcast 15min commercials per 1H, and usually there are three 5min breaks per hour.

You should be happy that you got 20 versions of ESPN :D. Soon ESPN HD/ESPN Classic will disappear all together from the Scandinavian market thanks to a decision made by Disney to no longer provide the channel in the region to any distributor. We have it until July 31 then it's over. I haven't personally watched ESPN HD a lot but they appear to broadcast A Lot of Live Sports like Baseball.

Edit: Sorry ESPN will close down in whole Europe, except Ireland and England on July 31.

One channel that I really want is the Golf Channel, 3-4 Hours of Live Golf is really nice, and my distributor said when I emailed them about it, that they thought it could be a nice addition to the package and they would "look into it", so we'll see :D

I think Live TV in general is more exciting to watch as everything happens at the same moment you see it. And I think everyone that likes some kind of sport agrees on that too. :)

I have to say that I only use VOD services if I have missed an episode of this or that, otherwise I like to watch everything Live. As the broadcast picture quality is so much better than when watching online.

Edit: I must add that there is a difference between a Live football game, or watching a show live/directly when it's being broadcasted on TV.

Enjoy you're July 4th or what's left of the day ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Did they happen to break it down by demographic? I have a feeling this is, to some extent, a generational thing. I would think that older people who are less web-savvy would watch more live TV, while younger people tend to get more of their programming from the Internet.

5. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Yes, tons of crap on live tv, my problem is I refuse to watch anything on a 20 inch screen, if I want to watch a show I'm interested in give me my 55 inch set. Maybe I could watch internet on my set but not worth the hassle. Give me simplicity, a good show and a large screen with a pristine picture 5.1 surround and I'm happy. 20 year olds don't feel this way.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha I am in the mid twenties :shifty: and I feel the same way as you do, except I don't really need the 5.1 sound all the time though. :D

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

People need to get off their arses and EXERCISE -PERIOD!

People are becoming more and more obese because of sitting in front of the PC & TV. The problem has been getting worse and worse,it's that time people,push yourself AWAY from THE electronics,free yourself and take charge of your health.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

But, but...Game of Thrones! *holds bag of Lays chips and plops down on couch* :D

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still watch live TV. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.