Live Installer is a bad idea

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Action_Bastard, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Action_Bastard

Action_Bastard Registered Member

I just wanted to say that I think that having no AV/Firewall installed while connected to the internet is very insecure. In order to install ESS 5 you need to uninstall your previous security software. Then connect to the internet in order to install your product. Bad things can get in, really bad things can get out. I'm aware that you have an offline installer, but most of your customers are not. The obvious links for ESS 5 are for the Live Installer. Consider pushing more for the offline version in regards to security.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET has a lot of different versions of its software for download for many different languages (around 30, I believe) platforms (32-bit and 64-bit) and this some confusion with new and less sophisticated users about which version they should download, resulting in confusion about wrong downloads, downloading the wrong language and so forth.

The ESET Live Install program was developed as a way to sidestep these issues by automatically downloading the correct version for a new user.

If you (or any one else) have specific suggestions about how to make it better, I would be happy to pass those enhancement requests on to ESET's developers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Olmanrivah

Olmanrivah Registered Member

I'm using Win7 and it took me half a day to install Eset5. I tried on line install 5 times (each time having to download a 60mb file. Part of the problem appears to be Win7 and their goofy permissions (I'm an Administrator).

I finally found the on computer link and after a few attempts got it installed. Didn't have to re-download each time.

By the way, Win7 has Eset info in more places than the instructions for uninstalling ver4 dictates. Caused me grief.

Seems to be running OK for now.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have to say i agree. i tried using the live installer 5 times between yesterday and today and i have a fios 50down/25up connection (and yes i have verified those speeds) and after almost an hour of waiting for "downloading product" i cancelled it. i then just went to softpedia and got the trial from there and installed it and was done in less then 2 minutes. it downloaded im maybe 30 seconds or less from softpedia's external link at a rate of 300-500k per second.

i personally hate live installers. please give your users (im a new returning one after a couple year hiatus) optional direct links for those that want a direct link. i agree for a normal user who may not be sure what to download the live installer is a fine idea. but those who know what they need (at least the people i know) hate "live" installers. not sure why it was so slow but i tried on 3 different systems and when i got it from softpedia it was done in seconds.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've just tried downloading a v5 installer, it was downloaded at the speed 2,3 MB/s on my home computer.
    As for the offlline installers, they are available after clicking the link in the following text on the download page:

You will be downloading the ESET Live Installer (1 MB) utility which will guide you through the installation and activation of your ESET security product. Click here if you need to download the Offline Installer.

6. zfactor

ahh great i didnt see that. for me the live installer is SO slow not sure why im at my mother in laws house and just tried it again and almost the same results a bit faster than before but sooo slow. maybe since im in the usa?

7. zfactor

i do see the other downloads now i missed it before THANK YOU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.