"Live" Folder & File Monitor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EASTER, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I am still on a quest to find a simple, standalone if possible, directory monitor with a tiny footprint like the old freeware FileChangeAlarm.

If any of you run across one by all means share your discovery if you would. I'm still Shocked that no developer even offers a standalone monitor like i been searching for. The only one that DOES is a now defunct freeware, like i said, named file change alarm. You set the directories to monitor, even the busy used ITF's or Temp folders and can set an audible .wav file that alerts at any change (even a basic system write) along with a (timestamped) log of exact path and file that was changed.

Very Useful for my research but also would be of importance to others as well i'm sure.

Thanks

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi EASTER,

Have you lost the install file for FileChangeAlarm?

It's a pity that Albert's site is no longer online.
    I did email him long ago but got no answer.

BTW: I'm still using NISFileCheck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

There was a beta6 but I can't find it anywhere.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No.

I still keep several copies of it thank goodness. I don't know about you, but such a simple freeware program like FileChange Alarm is been of invaluable help over the years stemming all the way back to 98's, but even more important now with XP.

I agree with your disallusionment. For the life of me i still don't understand why something as useful as a folder/file directory is been grossly neglected the way it has.

This tool alerts you (AUDIBLE) the INSTANT any movement (write,read,delete,change) is been made on any file to the folder selected to watch. Given that there is always that realistic chance that even a single action can at some point have been designed to slip past even the most formidable security programs, a directory/file monitor picks up activity at the precise moment a move is been taken on a file with FCA.

As it stands, i'm blind to such an action except i rely on basic windows Sounds to alert to a program loading by selecting a .wav file for Open Program.

Another neglected freeware, FileMapp by BB is found (recorded) the presence of rootkit hiders when nothing else had a clue one was started. They fashion these to disappear after landing in system folders and so with common means theres no way to detect either the name or path of it, but FileMapp recorded the file BEFORE it vanished and therein lies the usefullness of another old timer long forgotten by now.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion but i already use it, great app btw.

I need something that monitors folders/files "live" in real-time. I can't believe something like this is been completely overlooked by developers of security programs, but that seems the case.

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

From the authors site...
    Checking speed: speed used by Tiny Watcher to perform its checks. 100=fastest; 1=slowest. Despite the name, this is a way to slow down Tiny Watcher. The default value after install is 100. A slower speed allows Tiny Watcher to use less resources (CPU/hard disk) while it works in the background. We suggest to leave this value at 100. However, you might want to use a slower speed if you use the Windows task scheduler to run Tiny Watcher automatically.
    Sounds like scheduled scanning at least...

8. Espresso

9. Espresso

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

.NET i can live without but thanks.

The SilentNight link aborts only seconds after downloading so a no go with it too but i'll google for a reliable link.

This just confirms my suspicions again and amazement all along. It just can't be that hard at all to compile an app on the order of FileChangeAlarm

I'm not sure if i still have the source to it but if i find it i'm going to pay someone to remake it. It's just too important to neglect IMO. Most people/users couldn't care less, but some like myself prefer "live" interaction when anything is writing/reading to your system even if it's a text file log.

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

EASTER

have you thought of setting up file protection in EQSecure, you can set the mechanisme very low level by warn plus allow and write it to the history.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have considered that option but for some reason i am much more comfortable with a standalone, portable if you will, app that can ALERT me in the same way FileChangeAlarm does, by BOTH audible signal & time-stamped log prompt offering details.

I try not to put too much more on the HIPS then it can reasonably handle and thus suffer a glitch or miss when it's too late.

14. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi EASTER,

There might be a copyright on it...

Doesn't it do its work, or other problems?

Anyway, I'll try to send Albert again an email.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Fanj

Please do. I can't confirm ATM with any real certainty untill i fish thru a ton of files, if it's source was even released since so many freewares abandoned occasionally do turn them out for the public and so i collect them for future projects if available.

If not, it would be great if Albert could update it, maybe in his spare time since it's such a small but infinitely useful standalone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.