list for approved programs using PG?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by talon7, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talon7

talon7 Guest

Is there any sort of a list available of the different parts that belong to each program and other things in Windows that you need to allow with PG, so when I first install Process Guard, I will know what to allow? I understand with all the programs out there this would have to be a giant list, so perhaps instead is there any way I can determine myself which things belong to each program on my system, so I will know what to allow, and what could be malware? I hope I am explaining myself ok here, I'm still somewhat new to PG.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Talon7, To see what files are associated with different programs you can use tools such as SysInternals Process Explorer or Faber Toys.

Before installing ProcessGuard you need to make sure that your system is as clean as possible.
    Do a full scan with your AV / AT with the latest definitions or one of the on line scans.
    Run AdAware free and SpyBot Search & Destroy
    Update your OS with the latest patches.

Read the ProcessGuard helpfile before installing, it is available as a seperate download from here:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=help

If you are using the trial version You are limited the first four items listed below.

FREE and FULL
    Control application execution
    Protect applications from unwanted termination
    Protect applications from unwanted modification & injection
    Protect applications from unwanted viewing
    FULL Only
    Block new and changed programs
    Protect physical memory (prevent operating system vulnerabilities)
    Block Global Hooks (stops keyloggers and password stealers)
    Block unwanted driver/service installation (stops rootkit trojans)
    Block registry DLL injection (stops spyware such as CoolWebSearch)
    Secure Message Handling (protects applications from messages)
    Interface Lock (protects from malicious changes and other users)
    FREE technical support

HTH Pilli

3. talon7

talon7 Guest

Thanks for your help Pilli. So is it ok to assume that everything Process Explorer lists for each program I have, will have to be allowed by Process Guard when I first install it? Seems like a lot of stuff.

I will be using PG full though. The free version is ok, but the full is so much better, and a fair price too for all its protection. Thanks again. :)

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

When ProcessGuard is in learning mode it will give each program the necessary allows.
    So after the first install reboot & enable the four General tabs then run all your security progams and thos that connect to the Internet and reboot.
    PG will still be in learning mode this is the best time to run your everyday programs, reboot again and PG will be out of learning mode.
    You will still get the occasional alerts especially when you add new programs or update your current programs, thes alerts will help you fine tune ProcessGuard.

Read through these forums for information regarding some specific settings and tips for the more common security applications.

Have fun. Pilli :D

5. talon7

talon7 Guest

Thanks again for your help Pilli, you're one righteous dude!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.