linux-xp dual boot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by steve161, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi fellow members:

I just did a reformat on my HP XP Home using the built-in recovery partition. Worked like a charm, except that my recovery partition is now nowhere to be found. So my choices in case of OS failure are 1) order recovery disks 2) get imaging software, or 3) do want I have been contemplating for a while and install linux along with XP. I have researched this a bit, and while not a daunting procedure, it neither appears to be simple for my abilities. However, I have read about debian etch that appears to be the easiest linux to dual boot. My questions is; what are your thoughts about debian and it's ease to install, and what other distros may suit my needs? Also, how real is the danger that I will be left with no working OS at all (do not underestimate my ability to screw things up). Thanks. Oh, and free space is not be a problem since 93% of my 186GB HD is free.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  3. steve161

Thanks.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you could try ubuntu, even Ian Murdock (the ian in debian, deb is his wife) uses ubuntu. i think debian has a new installer now so it's probably easier to install, but ubuntu is just debian made easy for the desktop, debian is a great server.

i did an ubuntu install yesterday on my main computer, i hadn't installed ubuntu for a year, or so, but it installed perfectly, i have installed older versions of ubuntu lots of times, but i didn't even have to look anything up, i just booted up the ubuntu livecd, then selected the installer on the desktop and followed the prompts. it even transfers your settings from things like firefox from XP i think.

there are videos showing how to dual-boot windows and ubuntu at google video. the hardest part is the partitioning and that's the same in this video even though it's an older version of ubuntu
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6104490811311898236

EIDT. i just watched abit of the video, like i said they are using an older version of ubuntu and the ubuntu disc they have is just an installer disc. ubuntu now comes as a livecd with an installer on the desktop after it boots up. so, if you want to install it just run the livecd then when you get to the desktop double-click the install icon. try out the livecd first to check everything works ok.

if you do try out ubuntu there are loads of other links showing how to install it. the ubuntuforums and ubuntu wiki are really good too.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. steve161

Hi iceni60:

Thank you for the tips. It is the partitioning that I am most concerned about and read that the new debian installer is fairly automatic in this regard. Is ubuntu that much easier for the desktop that I should consider it instead of debian
    Cool, I love trivia,

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i haven't used the debian installer so i can't say what the differences are. i've only used debian briefly in the past, but i admit it is the next distro i want to install, but i think ubuntu is easy enough to install and once it's installed there's more support for it. also, it has a nice software installer that i think will be useful.

i don't want to say anything bad about debian because it's a great distro, but that's why ubuntu is so good, it's debian for the desktop.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I can confirm what Iceni is saying: Now even a monkey can install Debian.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Imaging software is definitely a wise choice, backup to an external hard drive or cd/dvd. Virtualization is also a good option, i do all my experimentation virtualized so if i screw things up my base system remains operational. Plus i can run linux and windows simultaneously and have the best of both worlds!

11. steve161

Hi members:

Done! I am now dual booting XP and Ubuntu. New question; If I regularly back up important work to a cd, why would I now worry about system back-ups or imaging software? If I have a major failure, I can just pop in a live cd and do a complete re-install in 20 minutes. Granted, settings or customizations would be lost, but that seems to just be a minor annoyance after a failure.

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Hello benny bronx

Checkout iceni60 thread about re-mastering your own LiveCD https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172034

After you get everything set the way you want make a liveCD, if you need to re-install you don't lose anything :) This is also the best way to do backups IMO.

You can also take your personal LiveCD with you when you leave home and use it on other PC's.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

For a home user, i agree that files and folders are the most important things.
    Imaging would go further as you say and save settings. But i'm sure one can do that anyway without imaging.

14. steve161

Thank you for that link FastGame, and Iceni60 for the thread. A live cd with my settings is just another bonus I did not even consider. I'm still struggling with the learning curve, but I have the necessities for now. But where are the security programs? I feel naked! No Powershadow, no HIPS, no Ccleaner. I'll have to go back to my xp partition once in a while to satisfy my addiction, or is it a compulsion? New thread anyone? Seriously, what, if any, security programs do you feel are needed for ubuntu. I am not a high risk surfer, but will follow a topic to unknown sites. All opinions are appreciated (within reason).

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    A strong root password.
    Optionally, a firewall if you have extra services, but in the default form, you don't even need that. Linux is not for security-obsessed.
    Mrk

16. steve161

Thank you Mrk. I made sure I have a strong root password as advised by some of the links provided. I am connected through a router with firewall, and I assume It will work with ubuntu or any other OS?

17. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Your router should not care what connects to it or how.
    But since you have a router and since Ubuntu is safe as is, you have done a good job. Strong root password. Now, enjoy.
    Mrk

18. steve161

This is what I assumed because it seems so obvious. But I've made that mistake before, so it is good to hear it from a more knowledgable member.

19. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

20. steve161

Thanks for the link FastGame, but the only important files on my comp are documents for work. I use OpenOffice on windows anyway and always save a new or changed doc to a cd. As one person in the link said, the less windows knows about linux the better. Don't know if this is really true, but there is some logic to it.

21. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    If you are into experiment, I have written an article about dual booting...
    Mrk

22. steve161

Hi Mrk:

Bring it on.

23. Mrkvonic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.