Linux users: Do we need antivirus?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pain of Salvation, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Do Linux home users need an antivirus?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

usually linux av are on-demand and sometimes free. it couldnt hurt to have one, just in case.

3. TNT

TNT Registered Member

You do not need an antivirus for Linux, but you might want to have one ON Linux. The antivirus applications for Linux/Unix are NOT used (at least for the greatest part) to detect Linux/Unix viruses, and surely they are NOT for real-time Unix/Linux protection: they are commonly used to filter mail attachments or to scan network drives and detect Windows viruses. Unix viruses are incredibly uncommon and usually of very limited destructive potential, and an antivirus is really not needed. There are numerous steps you might want to take to secure a Unix machine, but an antivirus is not one of them.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Simple answer: NO! AV's running under Linux are basicly there to detect Windows nasties... :)

5. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys...

I´m using SUSE Linux 10 for 2 days now, and I´m very happy with it..

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i scan downloads from untrusted sources so i don't execute a linux virus which will erase everything in my home directory. i use clam because it autoupdates and i've got a script i use will lets me right-click a file to scan it. :cool:

7. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

8. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Vulnerability does not equal "virus"
    Well, in a way. Mainly because many distros include a lot of software packages and these have vulnerabilities (along with the fact that some distros don't include always up-to-date software). Many of the Linux distributions' approach (an approach I do not like) to include a lot of software by default, and some unnecessary running/open services, is what leads to this. BSDs have a more minimalistic approach: they provide the basic, and it's up to you to choose the software packages you want to add later on when the system is up and running. BSDs have also a more scrupulous approach to security, IMHO.

9. Hallzoc

Hallzoc Registered Member

Well stated TNT. I would take it a step further though. I would say yes have an AV on your linux box, especially if you are a SAMBA guy. Sharing Windows nasties could be very restricted in a mixed environment of Linux servers/Windows clients. Just my two-cents worth.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.